Dec 30, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT
Let me help you out a bit Derrick — you are about to make mountains of cash.
Adidas is about to give Rose a lifetime contract worth about $250 million, according to ESPN.
One industry source insisted to ESPN.com this week that Rose’s new shoe deal with adidas will easily crack nine figures and could legitimately approach the $250 million range — as in $25 million annually over a 10-year span — in what is known in the shoe game as a “lifetime” deal.
How can the reigning MVP possibly command those kind of dollars as a shoe endorser? Here’s how: Rose, as it was explained to me, is adidas’ only counter to Kobe Bryant in China. I’m told Rose already outsells LeBron James there.
If you don’t think one endorser can mean that much to a brand, ask Nike about life without Michael Jordan.
Rose is the brightest star by far in the adidas pantheon. They also have Dwight Howard (which is rumored to be the reason Howard does not want to play in Chicago — adidas doesn’t want its two biggest stars in the same market. (Nike doesn’t seem to mind in Miami, but whatever.)
Smart move by adidas to lock up their biggest star, a guy who will potentially be at the top of the NBA for a decade. And maybe big in China.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32