Dec 30, 2011, 9:55 PM EST
Let me help you out a bit Derrick — you are about to make mountains of cash.
Adidas is about to give Rose a lifetime contract worth about $250 million, according to ESPN.
One industry source insisted to ESPN.com this week that Rose’s new shoe deal with adidas will easily crack nine figures and could legitimately approach the $250 million range — as in $25 million annually over a 10-year span — in what is known in the shoe game as a “lifetime” deal.
How can the reigning MVP possibly command those kind of dollars as a shoe endorser? Here’s how: Rose, as it was explained to me, is adidas’ only counter to Kobe Bryant in China. I’m told Rose already outsells LeBron James there.
If you don’t think one endorser can mean that much to a brand, ask Nike about life without Michael Jordan.
Rose is the brightest star by far in the adidas pantheon. They also have Dwight Howard (which is rumored to be the reason Howard does not want to play in Chicago — adidas doesn’t want its two biggest stars in the same market. (Nike doesn’t seem to mind in Miami, but whatever.)
Smart move by adidas to lock up their biggest star, a guy who will potentially be at the top of the NBA for a decade. And maybe big in China.
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 6
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5