Dec 30, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT
Let me help you out a bit Derrick — you are about to make mountains of cash.
Adidas is about to give Rose a lifetime contract worth about $250 million, according to ESPN.
One industry source insisted to ESPN.com this week that Rose’s new shoe deal with adidas will easily crack nine figures and could legitimately approach the $250 million range — as in $25 million annually over a 10-year span — in what is known in the shoe game as a “lifetime” deal.
How can the reigning MVP possibly command those kind of dollars as a shoe endorser? Here’s how: Rose, as it was explained to me, is adidas’ only counter to Kobe Bryant in China. I’m told Rose already outsells LeBron James there.
If you don’t think one endorser can mean that much to a brand, ask Nike about life without Michael Jordan.
Rose is the brightest star by far in the adidas pantheon. They also have Dwight Howard (which is rumored to be the reason Howard does not want to play in Chicago — adidas doesn’t want its two biggest stars in the same market. (Nike doesn’t seem to mind in Miami, but whatever.)
Smart move by adidas to lock up their biggest star, a guy who will potentially be at the top of the NBA for a decade. And maybe big in China.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 48
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13