Dec 30, 2011, 9:28 AM EST
Dwight Howard is trying to control the process — he has given the Magic a list of places he is willing to sign a contract extension if traded (Dallas, New Jersey and with the Los Angeles Lakers).
But the Magic are hoping other teams will jump in with bids to rent the superstar center for half a season. Teams with little or no shot of keeping him long term.
Right. I’m hoping to buy a small Caribbean island with my lottery winnings. But the Magic are hoping teams will jump in to “rent-a-Dwight” according to the Orlando Sentinel.
The Magic are talking to more teams than the ones on Dwight Howard’s wish list. They will listen to anybody who is willing to take a risk and give up a few good men for Howard if he can lead them to the NBA Finals as a temp.
It’s another reason why they will wait until the March 15 deadline to make a deal for Howard, after he’s played 44 games in Orlando. His new team would land him for 22 games, plus the postseason.
Thing is, it’s still going to take A-list assets to get Howard, so is a team really going to give up a star player or two to rent Dwight Howard for 22 games and the playoffs?
Bottom line here is the Magic are still trying to convince Dwight to stay and will through the All-Star Game (in Orlando in late February) and after that the trade talks will get serious. Until then, the Magic can dream teams will fall over themselves to trade for Howard. What they will find is teams know Howard wants out and the pressure will really be on Orlando.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 6
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 3
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 46
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45