Dec 30, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:59 pm: It’s official, Paul Pierce will not only play but start for the Celtics in their home opener against the Pistons, according to A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
Don’t expect 35 minutes of run in his first game, he’ll get eased back in a bit. However, against a weaker team at home is a good way to come back in. Now we start to see just how good — or not good — the Celtics really are. At the very least they should pick up their first win in this one (which is really more about playing better defense than it is Pierce).
2:23 pm: There are no “must win” games in the first week of the season. But the 0-3 Celtics sure could use one Friday night.
And they might have Paul Pierce to get it.
Word from the Celtics this morning is that Paul Pierce will be a game-time decision vs. Pistons tonight.
Yesterday Pierce tweeted that he was “very, very close.”
Smart money says Pierce makes his return from a bruised heel tonight.
Which means we will get a clearer picture of what has been going on with the Celtics. Just a tough stretch without a key offensive weapon, or are the problems much deeper?
In the short term Boston may get PP back and plays a Pistons team that has not looked good this season. Boston could use a slump-busting win in whatever shape it comes, this would be a prime chance.
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 0
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit 83
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'