Dec 30, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:59 pm: It’s official, Paul Pierce will not only play but start for the Celtics in their home opener against the Pistons, according to A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
Don’t expect 35 minutes of run in his first game, he’ll get eased back in a bit. However, against a weaker team at home is a good way to come back in. Now we start to see just how good — or not good — the Celtics really are. At the very least they should pick up their first win in this one (which is really more about playing better defense than it is Pierce).
2:23 pm: There are no “must win” games in the first week of the season. But the 0-3 Celtics sure could use one Friday night.
And they might have Paul Pierce to get it.
Word from the Celtics this morning is that Paul Pierce will be a game-time decision vs. Pistons tonight.
Yesterday Pierce tweeted that he was “very, very close.”
Smart money says Pierce makes his return from a bruised heel tonight.
Which means we will get a clearer picture of what has been going on with the Celtics. Just a tough stretch without a key offensive weapon, or are the problems much deeper?
In the short term Boston may get PP back and plays a Pistons team that has not looked good this season. Boston could use a slump-busting win in whatever shape it comes, this would be a prime chance.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31