Dec 30, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:59 pm: It’s official, Paul Pierce will not only play but start for the Celtics in their home opener against the Pistons, according to A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
Don’t expect 35 minutes of run in his first game, he’ll get eased back in a bit. However, against a weaker team at home is a good way to come back in. Now we start to see just how good — or not good — the Celtics really are. At the very least they should pick up their first win in this one (which is really more about playing better defense than it is Pierce).
2:23 pm: There are no “must win” games in the first week of the season. But the 0-3 Celtics sure could use one Friday night.
And they might have Paul Pierce to get it.
Word from the Celtics this morning is that Paul Pierce will be a game-time decision vs. Pistons tonight.
Yesterday Pierce tweeted that he was “very, very close.”
Smart money says Pierce makes his return from a bruised heel tonight.
Which means we will get a clearer picture of what has been going on with the Celtics. Just a tough stretch without a key offensive weapon, or are the problems much deeper?
In the short term Boston may get PP back and plays a Pistons team that has not looked good this season. Boston could use a slump-busting win in whatever shape it comes, this would be a prime chance.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 5
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 10
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 1
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 20
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 97
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27