Dec 30, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
The question is not raw talent. Michael Beasley has plenty of that. You don’t get drafted No. 2 overall without signs of serious potential.
But Beasley has never come anywhere near that potential.
As the Miami Heat — the team that drafted Beasley — are about to take him and his new Timberwolves team on, the Palm Beach Post asked Dwyane Wade about Beasley and how good he could be. The answer is it’s up to Beasley.
“Michael is an unbelievable talent,” Wade said. “And he can erupt any game, any moment. The ability that he has to use both hands around the basket, finishing. His jumpshot. He has all the tools. With Michael, it’s just going to take him to continue to grow at the game, and get to a winning environment, and start understanding what his team needs from him. I mean, he’s a good player. He’s one of the best young talents that we have in the game. But he has the potential to be a great player. If he wants it. And that’s what we always told him in Miami. So we’ll see.”
What Wade is politely talking about is dedication to the game. That has never been questioned with Wade — he will do whatever it takes in the offseason to be ready for the season’s start. He takes care of his body, he studies tape, he is committed to the game and winning. Beasley, to be polite, lacks that.
Beasley is not terrible — he’s averaging 19.5 points per game — but he only scratches the surface of what could be. It’s not the physical tools, it’s the mental ones that are questioned, it’s his efficiency that is in doubt. He is shooting just 44 percent this young season. His PER has always hovered around the league average.
Beasley has physical skills well beyond just average. But there are more than financial reasons the Heat wanted to move him a couple years ago.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 9
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 22
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 56
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 48
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65