Dec 29, 2011, 12:14 AM EST
The Suns, after suffering their first 0-2 start since the 1996-97 season following a blowout loss to the Sixers on Wednesday, are in desperate need of a reliable scorer. Michael Redd, a former All-Star and 11-year veteran shooting guard who at one time consistently averaged better than 20 points per game, is an unrestricted free agent.
Might the two be a match? Phoenix was at least willing to take a look in a private workout on Tuesday, reports Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic:
Michael Redd, who has a scary knee history, worked out for the Suns at US Airways Center on Tuesday, and the Suns are considering signing the 32-year-old to address their need for scoring and shooting.
Redd worked out for the Suns along with free agent NBA veteran Ime Udoka and free agent Gilbert Brown, but Redd appears to have the primary interest. The Suns also had Redd’s left knee examined because he has played only 61 games over the past three seasons due to two surgeries.
Redd is likely still unsigned for a reason. He hasn’t played anywhere close to a full season’s worth of games since 2007-08, and appeared in just 61 total games the following three seasons combined. Last year Redd played in only 10 contests, and averaged just 4.4 points and 13.4 minutes per game.
Ironically, Redd happened to be in Phoenix in January of 2010 when he received word that he had suffered a torn ACL and MCL that would end his season for the second straight year.
If Redd is healthy and has regained even a fraction of what he used to have offensively, the Suns would have an interest. Through the first two games of the season, Phoenix has averaged an anemic 83.5 points per game, and trailed by as many as 34 points in Wednesday’s loss to the Sixers, after opening the second half on the wrong side of a 19-0 run and failing to score for the first 6:12 of the third quarter.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)