Dec 29, 2011, 12:14 AM EDT
The Suns, after suffering their first 0-2 start since the 1996-97 season following a blowout loss to the Sixers on Wednesday, are in desperate need of a reliable scorer. Michael Redd, a former All-Star and 11-year veteran shooting guard who at one time consistently averaged better than 20 points per game, is an unrestricted free agent.
Might the two be a match? Phoenix was at least willing to take a look in a private workout on Tuesday, reports Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic:
Michael Redd, who has a scary knee history, worked out for the Suns at US Airways Center on Tuesday, and the Suns are considering signing the 32-year-old to address their need for scoring and shooting.
Redd worked out for the Suns along with free agent NBA veteran Ime Udoka and free agent Gilbert Brown, but Redd appears to have the primary interest. The Suns also had Redd’s left knee examined because he has played only 61 games over the past three seasons due to two surgeries.
Redd is likely still unsigned for a reason. He hasn’t played anywhere close to a full season’s worth of games since 2007-08, and appeared in just 61 total games the following three seasons combined. Last year Redd played in only 10 contests, and averaged just 4.4 points and 13.4 minutes per game.
Ironically, Redd happened to be in Phoenix in January of 2010 when he received word that he had suffered a torn ACL and MCL that would end his season for the second straight year.
If Redd is healthy and has regained even a fraction of what he used to have offensively, the Suns would have an interest. Through the first two games of the season, Phoenix has averaged an anemic 83.5 points per game, and trailed by as many as 34 points in Wednesday’s loss to the Sixers, after opening the second half on the wrong side of a 19-0 run and failing to score for the first 6:12 of the third quarter.
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 0
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 3
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 27
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26