Dec 29, 2011, 12:14 AM EDT
The Suns, after suffering their first 0-2 start since the 1996-97 season following a blowout loss to the Sixers on Wednesday, are in desperate need of a reliable scorer. Michael Redd, a former All-Star and 11-year veteran shooting guard who at one time consistently averaged better than 20 points per game, is an unrestricted free agent.
Might the two be a match? Phoenix was at least willing to take a look in a private workout on Tuesday, reports Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic:
Michael Redd, who has a scary knee history, worked out for the Suns at US Airways Center on Tuesday, and the Suns are considering signing the 32-year-old to address their need for scoring and shooting.
Redd worked out for the Suns along with free agent NBA veteran Ime Udoka and free agent Gilbert Brown, but Redd appears to have the primary interest. The Suns also had Redd’s left knee examined because he has played only 61 games over the past three seasons due to two surgeries.
Redd is likely still unsigned for a reason. He hasn’t played anywhere close to a full season’s worth of games since 2007-08, and appeared in just 61 total games the following three seasons combined. Last year Redd played in only 10 contests, and averaged just 4.4 points and 13.4 minutes per game.
Ironically, Redd happened to be in Phoenix in January of 2010 when he received word that he had suffered a torn ACL and MCL that would end his season for the second straight year.
If Redd is healthy and has regained even a fraction of what he used to have offensively, the Suns would have an interest. Through the first two games of the season, Phoenix has averaged an anemic 83.5 points per game, and trailed by as many as 34 points in Wednesday’s loss to the Sixers, after opening the second half on the wrong side of a 19-0 run and failing to score for the first 6:12 of the third quarter.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31