Michael Jordan to get married again

Dec 29, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT

Jordan wife Getty Images

Yvette Prieto is about to get a lot of sweet, free Nike gear.

Michael Jordan has become engaged to longtime girlfriend Prieto, his spokeswoman confirmed to WCNC in Charlotte. Prieto is a Cuban-born model who has been dating Jordan for more than three years.

This would be Jordan’s second marriage. He was married for17 years to Juanita, but the couple divorced in 2006.

Jordan, the legendary Bull, is currently the owner of the Bobcats. As part of this marriage she could get half of the franchise in a divorce, so she might want to get a pre-nuptial agreement to protect herself.

No word on a wedding date (nor do I have any idea what you get Jordan for a gift, save for an All-Star wing for the Bobcats). All we can really say is congratulations and good luck.

1. mgscott - Dec 29, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Congrats to Michael and his daily article.

• florida727 - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

After what happened when he split from Juanita, this should be the prenup to end all prenups. It’ll become the Gold Standard that every professional athlete will use going forward.

2. kacapaco - Dec 29, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Just wondering…why do black pro athletes marry lots of fair colored skin women while it is still rare to see white pro athlete men married to black women? Btw, am black man.

• kinggw - Dec 29, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Why does it matter? Black men arent obligated to marry black or dark skinned women. Everybody has their own personal preferences.

• tyronebrown - Dec 29, 2011 at 6:31 PM

If I may expound on your answer, it’s also a very ignorant question as there are not statistics nor have there been any research conducted to prove what race professional athletes choose to marry. Why even ask the question? Is there a magic number? If 2% of black pros marry “fair” skinned women or marry outside of their race does that somehow translate to most black pro athletes marry outside of their race? That question has never made any sense to me.

• theanticrust - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM

You are right, It doesn’t matter, but he’s just commenting on his “observation”.

• chitownbulls - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I’m a black woman and I get what you are saying… I used to be offended seeing so many white, latin, and/or fair skinned women with black athletes… I know people have personal preferences, but the numbers are so overwhelming its not racist or close-minded to make this comment/observation.

I think it just comes down to your circles… They have so much money, their circles are tight, and rarely penetrated by African-Americans… Who do you think they are in a position to meet at that level? It ain’t me! They meet daughters, sisters, relatives, etc. of executives in the industry that have money and they certainly and rarely look like you and me… It just a class thing.

I honestly think the only black athletes that end up with black women are those that have stuck by college or h.s. sweethearts…

–ct

• tharealroni - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Exactly, why does it matter…… who was he married to at first?

This man has been divorced for 5 years…. and dating for 3 of them….. what difference does it make what color she is….. or who she is for that matter…..

The problem with a lot of people sitting at home on the couches in front of the television and reading the news….. they feel that they are entitled to know everything and have a say so in every aspect of a celebrities life……

And that is pathetic……

• sexyya - Dec 29, 2011 at 5:31 PM

And as a black woman, I will tell you that there are way more black athletes married to black women than black men married to white women.

• tyronebrown - Dec 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM

That is exactly my point. The percentage of athletes marrying outside of their race is probably minimal. I’ve never understood why the race of someone that a person chooses to be with matters to anyone else. I’ve always thought “you are not marrying or dating that person, he/she is. It has no affect whatsoever on your life.” It is frustrating that in 2012 that this is still an issue with many people. Whatever a person’s preference is..regardless of race is no one else’s concern.

• tyronebrown - Dec 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM

What a completely asanine and stereotypical question to ask. Btw, I am a black man too.

• wiLQ - Dec 30, 2011 at 7:15 AM

IMHO because of available talent pool – there are waaaay more beautiful non-black women than black ones just because second group is a minority in the population.
      In other words, on average athlete has a choice between 1 black girl and 9 non-black girls so he really needs a strong personal preference to date/marry a black women… and if he doesn’t odds suggest he won’t.

• 53kw - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM

This comment is insane…Most black men have black families and establish bonds in the black community ,,,church, school, community activies and social groups that DO include black women…also their are black female models, teachers, nurses, waitresses, doctors, lawyers etc that these men come in contact with…Something else is going on….We live in a time when you show a 4yr old black child two dolls one black (like them) and one white…ask them which is the pretty doll and they say the white one 90% of the time….this is a proven study that has been done around 2005 or 2006….

• 53kw - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I wonder the same ….It is strange…It happens over and over and over again….

3. njsteeler - Dec 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM

In the words of the late, great Fred G. Sanford…, “BIG DUMMY”!!!!

4. ranoversquarells - Dec 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM

@ kacapaco

You’re not alone on that …

5. kinggw - Dec 29, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Idiot

6. therealhtj - Dec 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Wonder if he’ll get Stern to negotiate his prenup?

7. baboushka - Dec 29, 2011 at 2:45 PM

You’re about to see another one bite the dust. This big oaf is about to lose the rest of his money to a schemer. I’m glad Juanita took him to the cleaners on the first go round. Why get married Mike? You’re getting everything you want for free right now. You can only lose in that deal. If life has taught Jordan anything, it should be this. Like Father, like Son. He will always have a roaming eye. And this one will cost him Big Buckos down the road. I always loved this guy as a BB Player. But loathed him as a person. And I am a huge Bulls fan!

• therealhtj - Dec 29, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Two words: Ironclad Prenup

• badintent - Aug 3, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Jordon’s wedding speech : same as his HOF Speech.” I hated ever white team mate and coach I played for , they made me pass the ball so the Team could win the championships instead of me going off for 50. Now where’s my Jewish lawyer that wrote my pre-nup?The dude is pure evil , like me on the court. I keep my $$ so I can lose it in the casino or playing golf. I’m hiring Isiah to be my GM , he can’t do any worse than what I’ve done for the Pussycats. Double cigar MC.

8. jimbroney - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Kacopaco, good thing you mentioned you were black, this site wouldn’t have posted that comment otherwise.

9. dexterismyhero - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Good one Kurt!

10. hwatt - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:38 PM

“As part of this marriage she could get half of the franchise in a divorce, so she might want to get a pre-nuptial agreement to protect herself.”

HAH, love it!

11. klownboy - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Goes to show the richer you are, the more models you will be able to date. Life is so unfair…

12. bjtmeyer - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Derek Jeter thinks this girl is hot.

13. moolah954 - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Kwame Brown

14. explosionsauce - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Yeah I’m sure she wants a pre nup to protect herself. Come on man, proof read.

• 06mustang - Dec 29, 2011 at 5:44 PM

You must not have a sense of humor. That was a (funny) joke.

• jrrhill - Dec 29, 2011 at 5:49 PM

exactly, that was the best part of the whole article.
        you missed that joke buddy

• jasonthemcclain - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM

It was not an error. It was excellent humor. Let’s spell out the joke for you:

The Bobcats are so bad, that owning half the team is not an asset, but rather a detriment. So she should get a pre-nup to protect herself from having to be part of a horrible franchise. *ZING*

So while you tell him to proofread, I tell you to actually *think*.

It was one of the funniest things I have read in a while.

15. tharealroni - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

As for his franchise….. if they do divorce….. “IF EVER”….. that is something he had before her….. so no she can’t legally get half of anything that wasn’t acquired during their marriage……

She CAN legally get half of everything acquired after and during their marriage….

16. 00maltliquor - Dec 29, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Didn’t learn the first time, huh Mike?
    SIGN AN AIR TIGHT PRE-NUP FOR CHRIST SAKES!!!!
    Marriage for the wealthy and famous is a freakin’ joke in this day and age. I’ll take the under on a 10.5 year spread.
    Good luck Mike.

17. explosionsauce - Dec 29, 2011 at 8:52 PM

06mustang, that joke sucked.

18. yournuts - Dec 29, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Good choice Mike.

19. sasquash20 - Dec 30, 2011 at 3:25 AM

What a douche bag Jordan has become. That chick is hot, but he is MJ and could score way hotter.Anyone who thinks she isn’t prenuping your crazy. Jordan ain’t that dumb, Even if he is black.

• jimeejohnson - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM

“Even if he is black”. Go to your pond, scum!

• comeonnowguys - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM

You’re feeding the troll :)

20. theanticrust - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I skipped thru the comments…the wording in the article…” As part of this marriage she could get half of the franchise in a divorce, so she might want to get a pre-nuptial agreement to protect herself.”

Wouldn’t that be HE might want to get a pre-nup. What does she need to protect herself from….oh, author’s right, the Bobcats lose money, they don’t make money, gotcha…..Well, she could take half and sell it highly discounted to some fool (Magic/Tragic Johnson) and at least pick up a few million….I’m not a divorce lawyer so I don’t know…

…back to the racial comments you go…..

• comeonnowguys - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM

/facepalm

It was a joke. As in she would want to protect herself from having to own the friggin’ Charlotte Bobcats.

21. omahakidw - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM

You know something, I`m a black athlete, and I`m speaking from my experience, and conversations with most men of color in the Proffessional Sports World, or has been at some point in their past. Black Women are sometimes very “bossey”, like they have something tpo worry about after their man said he was`nt going anywhere. My son`s Mother is Black, but it was her jelousy that assisted in the Divorce that occued. Everything cost, and I was taken, but at the end of the day it was all worth it. Having been able to have gotten away from this type of behavior, I`m thankful and would`nt waste my time again. She got her Money,( which as far as I was concerned is what she wanted) and I have mine and am very happy to be with a woman who isn`t after my money, she just truely cares about me as a person, and most of my friends who`ve have simular experiences have moved in a differant direction like myself as well as those who are thinking its “time to change” !

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches