Dec 29, 2011, 4:55 PM EST
This is going to get blown out of proportion, no matter how much I try to tamp it down here. Even if I tell you this kind of thing happens all the time.
“Since he’s been in the league, every time he comes to town, we go eat dinner and just kick it,” Howard said after the Magic’s shootaround today. “We’ve been friends since the Olympics, and so we go out to eat, have a bite.”
Let’s not be naïve — at some point future plans and if they might play together came up. Williams may have tried to sell him on Brooklyn, they may have talked about Dallas. Heck, they may have talked about Cleveland for all we know. Okay, probably not.
But mostly they probably talked about families and hobbies and whatever else they share in common. Like their gold medals and if they want to get another one next summer. This was not high pressure recruiting and no decisions were made. They talked like friends talk.
These kinds of dinners happen all the time among players. It’s really not a big deal.
What I really want to know is, what did they have to eat? Pho? Steaks? Roast duck in a nice cherry sauce? Dang, now I’m hungry.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30