Carmelo Anthony says Chris Paul should be a Laker

Dec 29, 2011, 3:30 PM EST

Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony AP

Apparently Carmelo Anthony wanted to make an already challenging game against the Los Angeles Lakers tonight much more difficult.

He thinks David Stern made a mistake by vetoing a trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers and said so after the Knicks loss to the Warriors Wednesday night, reports the New York Daily News.

“I thought it would have been good for the Lakers and good for the whole NBA,” Anthony said. “As a guy who loves to compete, I would have liked to see him out West with the Lakers. For me — I’ve been battling the Lakers for the last seven years when I was in the Western Conference — I liked that.”

Really, he liked how those Lakers vs. Nuggets series turned out?

The feeling around the league — and with me — is that Stern made this move not for “basketball reasons” but because it was the Lakers about to get better after a lockout that was about reining in the spending of power franchises. Some owners got angry — something that would not have happened if Paul was going to Golden State. Or the Clippers.

Anthony — who is friends with Paul, remember the wedding toast? — said he thinks his friend has adjusted to life with that other team in Los Angeles.

“Chris is over that, he has to be, at this point,” said Anthony, who had hoped that the Knicks could trade for his close friend. “At this point, that’s just a chapter in his book. I talked to him before his first game with the Clippers, when they beat the Warriors, and he’s super excited to be on that team.”

I love the “chapter in his book” theory, leaving the door open to the next chapter. Wherever it may be. But for now, after a sloppy loss to Golden State, Anthony and the Knicks need to worry about their 2011-12 chapter, not anyone elses.

1. dexterismyhero - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Shut up Melo!

You better hope your own team plays well this season.

• theanticrust - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM

A fine from David Stern may quiet him up…funny, Stern has been silent since the incident and the beginning of the season, so the fine will come from, as it always has, from Stu Jackson, Stern probably laying low, because every time people will talk about him they will bring up the trade he dumped on.

2. cosanostra71 - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Melo is right for once. Who woulda thunk it.

3. kinggw - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Who gives a rats ass what Carmelo thinks?

4. dirtydavis - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Shut the f**K up Melo!!!

• theanticrust - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM

“fork” ???

5. jesse1834 - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Melo needs to quit smokin’ the weed and then maybe his team won’t get bounced again in the first round of the playoffs for the 7th time.

• theanticrust - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Melo and Lamar Odom both, who is off to a blazing 15% shooting percentage (9% in threes) in his first 3 Mav games…Since “Top Gun” is going to be re-released (I think)…since LO is on the “Mavericks”, maybe LO’s new nickname can be “Goose”.

6. djeter220 - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Kurt, you’re at an 11 right now. I’m gonna need you at a 2 or a 3. You’re really taking nothing and turning it into something there.

7. goforthanddie - Dec 29, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Timely article.

• chuckj1234 - Dec 29, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Yes he said it the way it is. Think Stern will fine him?

• theanticrust - Dec 31, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Stern won’t, he’s gone “rogue”….he’ll have Stu Jackson talk to him, nothing will hit the media…..

8. sirbyron - Dec 29, 2011 at 6:32 PM

as a Laker fan I still want Chris Paul but It is what it is…
    Since Derrick Fisher is the players president I think he had something to do with that trade block hmm???

• Kurt Helin - Dec 30, 2011 at 9:22 AM

After the negotiations, don’t think that Fisher and David Stern are all that friendly. They’re not.

• theanticrust - Dec 31, 2011 at 7:31 AM

let me know what medications you are on, as the side effects are evident….I didn’t want Chris Paul for what they were offering, two talented big men in Gasol and Odom. He’s only locked in for this and next year and that was after or around the trade to the Clippers, what if the Lakers trade (s) had gone down, they would have give up two valuble players for a point guard they may have had for only 1 season (am I correct there, regardles, I think I’m close. How do yo conclude that Fisher had something to do with blocking the trade??? Are you implying that Stern and Fisher are cozy buddies???….you go figure!!!!

9. dysraw1 - Dec 29, 2011 at 10:39 PM

respect sire

10. muhangis - Dec 30, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Melo has a right to speak the truth, so those of you quit baggin on him! This is the first time I can ever recall that I can actually respect something Melo has said or done. Who say’s that everything that comes out of Carmelo’s mouth has to be about the N.Y. Knicks, that’s it!? B.S.!!! And anything that’s a further step in exposing that sleazehead David Stern, I love.

And what the hell does this have to do with weed, Jesse you moron. You sound drunk, no wonder you got 4 times as many thumbs down, lame idiot.

If somebody smokes weed away from the court, it’s got ZERO to do with basketball skill. I guarantee you there’s atleast one smoker on every single championship team.

11. saintsfan1111 - Dec 30, 2011 at 8:34 AM

I love these star players minds…only 4 teams in the NBA worth playing for. One day when their career is in the shitter and they are begging to play somewhere, I hope some team tells em to try for the lakers instead.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches