Dec 29, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
Apparently Carmelo Anthony wanted to make an already challenging game against the Los Angeles Lakers tonight much more difficult.
“I thought it would have been good for the Lakers and good for the whole NBA,” Anthony said. “As a guy who loves to compete, I would have liked to see him out West with the Lakers. For me — I’ve been battling the Lakers for the last seven years when I was in the Western Conference — I liked that.”
Really, he liked how those Lakers vs. Nuggets series turned out?
The feeling around the league — and with me — is that Stern made this move not for “basketball reasons” but because it was the Lakers about to get better after a lockout that was about reining in the spending of power franchises. Some owners got angry — something that would not have happened if Paul was going to Golden State. Or the Clippers.
Anthony — who is friends with Paul, remember the wedding toast? — said he thinks his friend has adjusted to life with that other team in Los Angeles.
“Chris is over that, he has to be, at this point,” said Anthony, who had hoped that the Knicks could trade for his close friend. “At this point, that’s just a chapter in his book. I talked to him before his first game with the Clippers, when they beat the Warriors, and he’s super excited to be on that team.”
I love the “chapter in his book” theory, leaving the door open to the next chapter. Wherever it may be. But for now, after a sloppy loss to Golden State, Anthony and the Knicks need to worry about their 2011-12 chapter, not anyone elses.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29