Dec 29, 2011, 3:30 PM EST
Apparently Carmelo Anthony wanted to make an already challenging game against the Los Angeles Lakers tonight much more difficult.
“I thought it would have been good for the Lakers and good for the whole NBA,” Anthony said. “As a guy who loves to compete, I would have liked to see him out West with the Lakers. For me — I’ve been battling the Lakers for the last seven years when I was in the Western Conference — I liked that.”
Really, he liked how those Lakers vs. Nuggets series turned out?
The feeling around the league — and with me — is that Stern made this move not for “basketball reasons” but because it was the Lakers about to get better after a lockout that was about reining in the spending of power franchises. Some owners got angry — something that would not have happened if Paul was going to Golden State. Or the Clippers.
Anthony — who is friends with Paul, remember the wedding toast? — said he thinks his friend has adjusted to life with that other team in Los Angeles.
“Chris is over that, he has to be, at this point,” said Anthony, who had hoped that the Knicks could trade for his close friend. “At this point, that’s just a chapter in his book. I talked to him before his first game with the Clippers, when they beat the Warriors, and he’s super excited to be on that team.”
I love the “chapter in his book” theory, leaving the door open to the next chapter. Wherever it may be. But for now, after a sloppy loss to Golden State, Anthony and the Knicks need to worry about their 2011-12 chapter, not anyone elses.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30