Dec 28, 2011, 11:07 AM EDT
Welcome to our morning look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT).
Nets fans started a chant of “we want Howard” at the team’s home opener Tuesday. No, Deron Williams did not start it. As far as we know.
The Raptors have a 1,300-pound rock in their dressing room. Yes, intentionally. (I would nickname the rock Oliver Miller, but that’s just me.)
J.J. Barea tweaked his hamstring in the second half against the Bucks and requested out, then was later seen limping in the locker room. He is officially day-to-day but may miss few. (He seems to have good chemistry with Ricky Rubio, by the way).
Great stat from John Schuhmann of NBA.com: 2011-12 Timberwolves clutch-time shooting – Beasley: 2-for-10. Everyone else: 3-for-7.
Boston could use more size up front, Erik Dampier anyone?
You really should consider picking up a copy of Basketball Prospectus for this season.
Talking about the Lakers struggles with the pick-and-roll.
DeAndre Jordan wants to be the defensive player of the year. Note to DeAndre: That requires more than just racking up blocks, when you give up rebounding position to go after blocks and your team gets killed on the glass it’s not good defense.
The Cavs top pick Kyrie Irving was 2-for-12 shooting in his first game. The good news was six assists to just one turnover. But Jose Calderon abused him pretty bad. Irving is good but has a ways to go yet.
Jan Vesley has the flu and will not be on the Wizards two-game road trip. That following a hip injury. But the rookie will play someday.
Bucks rookie forward Jon Leuer scored 14 points on 5-of-7 shooting, added eight rebounds and two blocks in 20 minutes off the bench on Tuesday. He plays a smart game, stays within himself. Mature game for a rookie.
Manny Harris might have made the Cavs roster had it not been for a new cold-therapy treatment gone too far.
A really interesting discussion of advanced basketball statistics, interpretation and context.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18