Dec 28, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
We keep hearing rumors that Rajon Rondo is on the trade block — it had been for Chris Paul but the Celtics will listen to other offers, too. They are not going to move him for just anyone, but he’s not the easiest player to get along with and Boston is keeping its options open.
But is that really the best strategy?
Brian Windhorst, who covers the Miami Heat for ESPN (and was in Cleveland with LeBron James before that) says that Rajon Rondo should not only be kept but also be the guy they build around for the future.
“The Celtics, for some reason, think they can upgrade there. Most basketball people will say to you, if you could choose between Rondo or Chris Paul, they would choose Chris Paul. But I’m going to tell you something … I would roll with Rondo. No. 1, he doesn’t have bad knees like Chris Paul does. No. 2, I think he is as good of a defensive point guard as has been in the league in this era. He might be the defensive point guard since Gary Payton. I just have so much respect for him.
“I know he can be tough to deal with. But go show me a star player that doesn’t have issues at times. To me, I think Rondo is a franchise player and I agree that he benefits from being around Hall of Famers. But guess what? Take a look at the teams that win titles. You’re not seeing too many one-man teams win titles. You do need to have a couple of other stars.
“I think getting a point guard, especially in this era of the NBA, is vital and I think Rondo has been largely healthy, especially in his legs. He’d be my guy if I was running the Celtics.”
Windhorst his higher on Rondo than I am, but not a lot. I would flip Rondo for Paul or Dwight Howard or a handful of other true superstars. But there are maybe 10 guys on that list. Maybe. And those guys almost never come up as available.
However, if you have Rondo and the tradition (and money) of Boston, you can lure other players to come there and rebuild a winner in the post big 3 era. Rondo can be the bridge that speeds up rebuilding. Talk of moving him for anyone but a true superstar is foolish.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47