Dec 28, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
We keep hearing rumors that Rajon Rondo is on the trade block — it had been for Chris Paul but the Celtics will listen to other offers, too. They are not going to move him for just anyone, but he’s not the easiest player to get along with and Boston is keeping its options open.
But is that really the best strategy?
Brian Windhorst, who covers the Miami Heat for ESPN (and was in Cleveland with LeBron James before that) says that Rajon Rondo should not only be kept but also be the guy they build around for the future.
“The Celtics, for some reason, think they can upgrade there. Most basketball people will say to you, if you could choose between Rondo or Chris Paul, they would choose Chris Paul. But I’m going to tell you something … I would roll with Rondo. No. 1, he doesn’t have bad knees like Chris Paul does. No. 2, I think he is as good of a defensive point guard as has been in the league in this era. He might be the defensive point guard since Gary Payton. I just have so much respect for him.
“I know he can be tough to deal with. But go show me a star player that doesn’t have issues at times. To me, I think Rondo is a franchise player and I agree that he benefits from being around Hall of Famers. But guess what? Take a look at the teams that win titles. You’re not seeing too many one-man teams win titles. You do need to have a couple of other stars.
“I think getting a point guard, especially in this era of the NBA, is vital and I think Rondo has been largely healthy, especially in his legs. He’d be my guy if I was running the Celtics.”
Windhorst his higher on Rondo than I am, but not a lot. I would flip Rondo for Paul or Dwight Howard or a handful of other true superstars. But there are maybe 10 guys on that list. Maybe. And those guys almost never come up as available.
However, if you have Rondo and the tradition (and money) of Boston, you can lure other players to come there and rebuild a winner in the post big 3 era. Rondo can be the bridge that speeds up rebuilding. Talk of moving him for anyone but a true superstar is foolish.
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 0
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 3
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 11
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23