Dec 27, 2011, 9:29 AM EDT
Andray Blatche is not happy with how the Wizards are using him.
The only real surprise there is it came after only one game rather than midway through the season.
After the Wizards come-from-ahead loss Tuesday against the Nets (how do you blow a 20-point lead against the Nets?), Blatche said he needs the ball in the paint to be effective and he’s been telling Flip Saunders that. Here is the direct quote, via video from CSNWashington.com.
“I said that I need the ball in the paint to be effective. You can’t keep having me pick and pop and shoot jump shots. Give me the ball in the paint. That’s where I’m most effective at. I’ve been saying that since training camp. I need the ball in the paint. I don’t want to be the pick and pop guy I used to be, because that’s not working for me. As I was saying, when the double team came, I kicked it out and we made good plays I’m not saying the offense has to run through me, but I prefer to be in the paint.”
Against the Nets, Blatche was 2-of-6 inside 10 feet and 3-of-8 from beyond 10 feet (via Hoopdata.com).
Is Blatche right? Is he better off closer to the rim? They broke down the numbers and video at NBAPlaybook.com and the answer is… kind of.
At this point as I research his game, I’m thinking maybe Andray just isn’t a very good offensive player, guys. But wait! If you go back another season, the numbers do show us that Blatche is far better in the post than in spot-up/jump shot situations. If you go back a season further, we see essentially the same thing. Don’t get me wrong, Blatche is not a good offensive player even when we only isolate his strengths. But he at least has a point in regards to being more effective around the basket.
So the lesson is, less Blatche is better, but if you are going to feed him the rock do it closer to the rim.
Which means John Wall’s pick setter doesn’t really relish that role and is better on the block. Great. Going to be a long season in Washington.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 34
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4