Andray Blatche calls out his coach, wants ball in the post more

Dec 27, 2011, 9:29 AM EDT

Andray Blatche AP

Andray Blatche is not happy with how the Wizards are using him.

The only real surprise there is it came after only one game rather than midway through the season.

After the Wizards come-from-ahead loss Tuesday against the Nets (how do you blow a 20-point lead against the Nets?), Blatche said he needs the ball in the paint to be effective and he’s been telling Flip Saunders that. Here is the direct quote, via video from CSNWashington.com.

“I said that I need the ball in the paint to be effective. You can’t keep having me pick and pop and shoot jump shots. Give me the ball in the paint. That’s where I’m most effective at. I’ve been saying that since training camp. I need the ball in the paint. I don’t want to be the pick and pop guy I used to be, because that’s not working for me. As I was saying, when the double team came, I kicked it out and we made good plays I’m not saying the offense has to run through me, but I prefer to be in the paint.”

Against the Nets, Blatche was 2-of-6 inside 10 feet and 3-of-8 from beyond 10 feet (via Hoopdata.com).

Is Blatche right? Is he better off closer to the rim? They broke down the numbers and video at NBAPlaybook.com and the answer is… kind of.

At this point as I research his game, I’m thinking maybe Andray just isn’t a very good offensive player, guys. But wait! If you go back another season, the numbers do show us that Blatche is far better in the post than in spot-up/jump shot situations. If you go back a season further, we see essentially the same thing. Don’t get me wrong, Blatche is not a good offensive player even when we only isolate his strengths. But he at least has a point in regards to being more effective around the basket.

So the lesson is, less Blatche is better, but if you are going to feed him the rock do it closer to the rim.

Which means John Wall’s pick setter doesn’t really relish that role and is better on the block. Great. Going to be a long season in Washington.

1. leearmon - Dec 27, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I live in D.C. and spend a lot of time covering the Wiz Kids and its painfully obvious there is SUCH a lack of basketball IQ on this team (and front office). Its really unfortunate. Ernie Grunfeld has already invested so much money into Blatche and for him to be such a focal point to this team’s success is almost maddening. After building a huge lead, ball movement completely stopped, Crawford shot everytime he touched the ball, which is funny because thats exactly what Nick Young does. McGee seemed like he improved but only time will tell if he has stopped listening to moms and start listening to the coach. Flip is clearly not the guy for this job, and thats not a knock on him, but it seems the Wiz need a disciplinarian type of coach as opposed to a laid back guy like Saunders. Also I love Wall but his shot selection is still not cutting it. If he’s supposed to be the savior of this franchise he needs to use his God giving speed and athleticism to get to the rack and draw fouls and stop with the 18-22 foot jumpers.

Quick aside regarding Wall. Again I like the kid and think he has the potential to be really special, but if you look at the High School / 1 and done kids, the one position that it seems to really affect is the point guard. With the obvious exception of Rose, most PG who dont stay in college at least 2 seasons really seem to struggle with playmaking and decision making.

• bparmalee - Dec 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I was never a Wall fan coming out of college…. too much ego to succeed at that position in my opinion. Sometimes having all of the talent and athletic ability isnt enough in a team sport. I also think GM’s have to learn…you cant give guys like Blatche longer than two year deals. With guys like him… that dont seem to be motivated by winning… the money doesnt make it a bad deal… the length of commitment does. If you run the risk of losing him… thats fine. No one is ever going to win a playoff series with Andray Blatche as anything more than a role player.

2. leearmon - Dec 27, 2011 at 9:50 AM

*given

3. test2402 - Dec 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Tim Tebow gets the ball when he wants it.

4. dysraw1 - Dec 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM

boy the season is two games old an this guys complaining already. hes what i call a chemistry killer

5. dirtydavis - Dec 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM

A Power Forward who shot 44%, averaging 33 mins a game last year wants the ball a lot more??? We’re talking about a PF who never shot higher 47% wants to handle the rock???? PSSSShhhh

6. goforthanddie - Dec 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Trade him for a stack of floor-mopping towels. He’s had plenty of time to grow up, it’s obvious he doesn’t want to.

7. edavidberg - Dec 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM

In this case everyone involved is wrong. Blache is terrible and doesn’t realize it, Saunders can’t coach his way out of a paper bag and has no idea how to use any player to their strengths including Blatche. Anybody watching a Washington game is dumber for having had to witness it.

To be more specific, Saunders and Mike Brown are two of the worst coaches in the NBA. That Pistons/Cavs series a few years ago set basketball back 10 years. They are so dumb that their rotations and strategy is just mind-boggling. Case in point, yesterday Washington blew a 25 point first half lead without any adjustments whatsoever . . . and they did so to the NJ Nets, who only have about 3 or 4 NBA caliber players. That was some of the worst basketball I’ve seen since the aforementioned Pistons/Cavs series.

8. farvefromover - Dec 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Andre Blatche is a hooker f*cker.

9. njsteeler - Dec 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM

LMAO…, this is hilarious coming from a player that has treated the paint like it was the plaque since he entered the league. Another case of an immature guy that should have went to college, and learned how to play the game instead of jumping straight to the league. Make these kids do at least 2 years of college. for their sakes, and the games!

• bcjim - Dec 27, 2011 at 11:39 PM

a thousand “thumbs up” for you, sir.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches