Stephen Jackson admits he checked out after Wallace trade

Dec 26, 2011, 7:11 PM EDT

Charlotte Bobcats v Miami Heat Getty Images

Bobcats fans are going to just read this nod in agreement. Bobcats front office members, too.

Stephen Jackson admitted last season when Charlotte traded Gerald Wallace to Portland he pretty much mentally checked out from the Bobcats. Here are the quotes, via Rock Bonnell at the Charlotte Observer.

“When Gerald left, I really left,’’ Jackson said at morning shootaround at Time Warner Cable Arena.

“Considering what we did (getting to) the playoffs, and then all those changes. To take Gerald away really took a lot out of me. I still was trying to do my job as best I can, but it was a lot harder. When they got rid of Gerald, that let me know they didn’t want to win. I didn’t want to be part of a place like that.’’

Wallace was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks on draft night. With Milwaukee he’s going to be asked to create shots and provide scoring from the wing for the team that had the worst offense in the NBA last season.

Which is one way of saying expect Jackson to try to take over the game and put up 40 on the Bobcats tonight.

But reading his quotes — and knowing how Jackson wants his contract extended two years — has to make Bucks fans a little uneasy. And after all the bad luck that franchise has had the last couple years, the fans are pretty uneasy anyway.

1. seattlesuperchronic - Dec 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Is everyone hung over? I’ve never seen as many typos as I have today!

• HitsDingers - Dec 26, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I did a double take at “Wallace was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks”

• aboogy123456 - Dec 27, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Well, get used to it because Kurt is writing these articles. It sucks because I keep reading them because they are interesting topics, but I just can’t get over how difficult it is for this guy to read over his articles before posting, just once maybe?

2. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Dec 26, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Jax is a piece of crap.

3. bparmalee - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Yeah…. he even claims that the Bobcats have fans. Quick recall the last time you saw someone on the street wearing a Bobcats jersey……… exactly.

4. havlicekstoletheball - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM

“When Gerald left, I really left.”

“Since I made $9.2 million to play last year, and admit that I bought a roll of stamps and mailed in the last third of the season, I will be refunding just under $3.1 million to the Bobcats…”

Oh wait. He didn’t say that last part, did he?

You would think that for $177,000 a WEEK, he could find it in him somewhere to play basketball, wouldn’t you?

• bparmalee - Dec 27, 2011 at 2:59 AM

He gets paid either way. People get pissed because the NFL is so cut throat but this is what happens when all contracts are fully guaranteed. This happens a lot. Then guys suddenly break out during their contract year..get paid and mail it some more. I love the NBA but there are some people just going through the motions.

5. trbowman - Dec 27, 2011 at 1:56 AM

We didn’t notice.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches