Nate Robinson would prefer GMs ignore Shaq’s new book

Dec 26, 2011, 3:59 PM EST

Guard Nate Robinson of the New York Knic

When you go job hunting, do you look at what you posted — or others posted about you — of Facebook and wince?

Welcome to Nate Robinson’s world.

Robinson is a free agent looking for a job. Complicating matters is Robinson did not come off well in Shaquille O’Neal’s new book.

“Nate was always trying to get noticed by the public. He was always tweeting videos of himself punking his teammates … Some people are a little too focused on Twitter and Nate was one of them. He was too worried about how many followers he had. He kept saying, “Shaq, I need more people. Help me out.”

Shaq is all about marketing, about selling books and himself. Robinson told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated he needs to remind GMs about that and who is doing the story telling here.

“Everybody on the Celtics knows who created every skit, every prank, that we did — it was all my man Shaq’s idea,” Robinson, who was with Boston from Feb. 2010 to Feb. 2011, told SI.com via phone on Saturday. “We did it together. He wanted to say that, and it’s fine. But when it’s game time and I’m ready to play, then I’m ready to play. That’s something where I have to work to change people’s mind and prove to them that it’s not true.

“It is what it is. One good outlook of it is that I’m going to always be in that book. … Some people say some things that are not always right, and life’s not fair.”

There’s a place for Robinson in the NBA, but likely not on a contending team. He provides energy off the bench and some nights scoring as well. But he is inconsistent, inefficient and not a great defender — the kind of things top teams need on their benches. It’s why he almost never saw court in the playoffs for the Thunder last year.

But if a team needs the energy and a fan favorite, a guy on a hot night who can win them a game here and there, Robinson is their guy.

1. dysraw1 - Dec 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM

i hope my man Nate gets a job, the league does not respect him because he plays to much.

• beagle11 - Dec 26, 2011 at 5:43 PM

The league does not respect him because he is unprofessional and undisciplined

2. goforthanddie - Dec 26, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I highly doubt anyone in NBA management will read Shaq’s book for roster advice.

3. footballgod87 - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I wonder why he can’t be a JJ barea like spark for a good team.

4. lawrinson20 - Dec 26, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Pot / kettle. Shaq has never spent more than a minute of public time without making some self-aggrandizing statement, and then, in the next breath, knocking someone else down. He has to be the most obnoxiously insecure person in sports history. And the idiot masses never seem to recognize it. It’s not subtle, people.

5. tonystrong - Dec 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Nate needs to go back to Boston. While he may have goofed around there, he did have some good games and respected the guys he was playing with. He knows the system, knows the players, knows the coach, and the Celtics need depth. Could save Nate’s career because I can’t see him making an impact anywhere else! He’s just got to hope the Celtics even want him!

6. africanballer - Dec 27, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Nate is good for this league, I hope he finds the right team for him

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches