Dec 26, 2011, 3:59 PM EST
When you go job hunting, do you look at what you posted — or others posted about you — of Facebook and wince?
Welcome to Nate Robinson’s world.
Robinson is a free agent looking for a job. Complicating matters is Robinson did not come off well in Shaquille O’Neal’s new book.
“Nate was always trying to get noticed by the public. He was always tweeting videos of himself punking his teammates … Some people are a little too focused on Twitter and Nate was one of them. He was too worried about how many followers he had. He kept saying, “Shaq, I need more people. Help me out.”
Shaq is all about marketing, about selling books and himself. Robinson told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated he needs to remind GMs about that and who is doing the story telling here.
“Everybody on the Celtics knows who created every skit, every prank, that we did — it was all my man Shaq’s idea,” Robinson, who was with Boston from Feb. 2010 to Feb. 2011, told SI.com via phone on Saturday. “We did it together. He wanted to say that, and it’s fine. But when it’s game time and I’m ready to play, then I’m ready to play. That’s something where I have to work to change people’s mind and prove to them that it’s not true.
“It is what it is. One good outlook of it is that I’m going to always be in that book. … Some people say some things that are not always right, and life’s not fair.”
There’s a place for Robinson in the NBA, but likely not on a contending team. He provides energy off the bench and some nights scoring as well. But he is inconsistent, inefficient and not a great defender — the kind of things top teams need on their benches. It’s why he almost never saw court in the playoffs for the Thunder last year.
But if a team needs the energy and a fan favorite, a guy on a hot night who can win them a game here and there, Robinson is their guy.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 25
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 15
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 9
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7