Dec 26, 2011, 10:57 AM EDT
There’s a feeling out there that the Lakers are going to cave — that they are eventually going to agree to trade both Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol to get Dwight Howard. That’s the feeling in Orlando, where they sit on Howard waiting for the deals to improve. (Or him to change his mind, but Sunday didn’t help that.)
Don’t bet on the Lakers budging.
Here are the words of Jim Buss — the guy running the ship — to T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times.
“Where does this stuff come from?” he says. “You’d have to be kind of silly to give up two All-Stars like that for Howard. Zero truth to it. We have never been asked for Andrew and Pau and we’ve never offered them. I think they know we’d either say no or they would sound crazy for asking.”
Without Howard — or even Andrew Bynum — the Lakers looked gritty on Sunday, fighting back to lead by 11 with four minutes to play. But after that they looked like a team that wasn’t used to winning — turnovers, missed free throws and basic mistakes cost the Lakers down the stretch. Cost them the game.
Buss said this looks like the team the Lakers are sticking with.
“I personally believe now that we have the team that we will be playing with all season long.”
Buss has to say that, he saw what happened with Lamar Odom when trade stuff leaked out. But still you get the feeling Buss means it.
If they keep playing hard, Lakers fans will come to love this team. The question is will they keep coming up short against the elite?
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 14
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13