Garnett could face fine, suspension for end of game scuffle

Dec 26, 2011, 8:34 AM EDT

Kevin Garnett Getty Images

Well, that didn’t take long. Kevin Garnett could be in trouble with the league after one game.

On the final play of the game the Knicks Bill Walker was trying to contest Garnett’s shot (only because Walker picked his teammate Tyson Chandler off Garnett, giving KG a very good look) and when it missed Walker had a couple words for Garnett.

Then KG tried to reach out and choke Walker. It’s brief but it’s there, hands to the throat. See the video below.

Garnett refused to talk about it post game, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com. However, Walker did talk about it. And he’s still not backing down from KG.

“I went to contest his shot,’’ Walker said. “I guess he got mad I contested his shot. He grabbed my hand, tangled it up. I pulled my hand away, and then we had a situation . . .

“I’m a grown-up. You put your hands on my face, what part of the game is that? You know what the man does . . . Would you want me to put my hands on your face and push you away? I’m a man at the end of the day. It’s disrespectful. You should not do that to any man.’’

There wasn’t a whole lot to this (don’t think it warrants suspension and barely a fine) , but it did get replayed plenty on national television, and you know how the league office is about perception. If they think it looks bad for the league, KG could get a slap. Either financial or a suspension.

1. bcjim - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Another Boston goon. Just like Lucic and Billicheat.

• tommygun1997 - Dec 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM

another goon like Lucic and Billicheat???? lets see Bruins have lost 2 sine the start of Nov and the Pats are 1 win away from home field throughout the Afc playoffs !! dont hate my man!!

2. keyshawn22 - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Love it KG keep it up. If some clown named bill walker pops off u grab their throat. That’s how it’s done. Much love to KG and his attitude.

3. ogre2010 - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Speechless!! I thought KG was a stand up person

4. 973yenots - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM

These so call NBA bullies! They ain’t stupid they know who to pick on and who not to pick on!

5. billsfanaddict - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:36 AM

kg is a pyschopath whaddu expect? i luv him (& ima knicks fan), but lets be honest, he easily makes the top 3 “would be a violent felon if not a baller” list …probably w/delonte & arenas… i’d put crittendon but i think im pretty sure that i read somewhere that not only is he out of the nba but that he is in fact currently incarcerated.

6. billsfanaddict - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:39 AM

…..Gotta Love BDavis immediately grabbing kg n start screaming in his face while kg did his best “puppy in the corner cause you just found his coach pee” impression! i knew i liked the baron davis addition, everything about him is true, hes a spotlight whore, but hes got a spotlight ;)

7. tilllman40 - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM

@Keyshawn ur name says it all.

• njsteeler - Dec 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Keyshawn’s girl screwed a dude from NYC, and now he hates all that is NY! LOL…

8. billsfanaddict - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM

*coUch
    ((b4 i get a zillion “your whole point is invalid b/c of a misspelling, comments))

9. 6thsense79 - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Love Garnett buutit seems like he’s always involve in something extra outside of the game while on the court. And for the idiot trying to say Garnett would be a felon if he didn’t have basketball please be quiet.There are plenty of players who are seemingly out of control on the court.

10. keyshawn22 - Dec 26, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I am actually from NY njsteeler, and i dont know if anyone with NJ in their name should be talking about where someone else lives.

• njsteeler - Dec 26, 2011 at 2:05 PM

LOL!! That’s pretty funny. Born in Kings County Hospital. Red Hook, Brooklyn. You know what’s even funnier? You’re from NY, and you are a Boston Celtic fan!! SMH… And it ain’t where ya from, it’s where ya at!!

11. africanballer - Dec 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM

KG just missed the shot. Walker didn’t have to say anything because it had nothing to do with his efforts

12. lucky5934 - Dec 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I love how Walker put his hands up when pushed, but as soon as teammates were in between him and KG, then he decided to act tough and try to approach KG. We have all seen guys like that before. With that being said, KG needs to own up and realize that 35 year old men should keep their behavior in check. He is in a professional league, hence he should act like a professional.

13. acdc363 - Dec 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM

His behavior completely overshadowed their attempted comeback. I love kg but as people already said he’s too seasoned to be picking fights like he does so often.

14. toegoat - Dec 26, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I was an avid fan of kg for yrs but the last few seasons I guess I’ve grown tired of his antics…. he is a beast tho no doubt

15. hallcyon - Dec 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Walker was inches from his face and was approaching Garnett. The arm of Garnett wasn’t even extended and he wasn’t trying to choke him, anyone saying that is deliberately trying to cause a controversy. I would have done the same thing, anyone would. Why was he getting in his face like that? Just a self defensive reflex by Garnett. No harm, no foul intended.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches