Dec 25, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
The Boston Celtics will tip off the NBA season with the New York Knicks at noon Chrstmas day, and they may also have the first major player to miss games due to injury for the season.
Not having Pierce — on top of not having Jeff Green who is out for the season due to a heart condition — leaves the Celtics very short at the three. It means Sasha Pavlovic is going to get the start and have to play big, both defending Carmelo Anthony and providing some scoring, for the Celtics to have a real chance.
Even if Pierce plays, he likely only goes for 15 to 20 minutes, but they could use his scoring and the threat of it.
If Boston is going to win this game they will do it with defense. But they are still going to have to find enough scoring to keep up with the Knicks (even if the Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler is a little awkward still) and that will be harder without Pierce.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 7
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7