Dec 25, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
A three-part preface, to begin, before we cover the Heat’s shelling/drilling/slaughter of the Mavericks.
- It’s the first game of the season, and the first game of the season is never indicative of how the season will go for either team, even if it seems like it in retrospect. Th Celtics beat the Heat in the first game of last season, and looked impressive doing so. How did that work out?
- The Mavericks are working with several new players including Lamar Odom (ejected), Vince Carter, and Delonte West, on a short training camp and preseason.
- The Heat had every reason for motivation, the Mavericks were busy congratulating themselves on their title from last season. So it was two different teams mentally.
So we’ve got that all the way.
Good gravy, the Heat looked awesome.
Even in a game in which they only managed 8 points in the fourth quarter, it cannot be overstated how well the Heat played Sunday in their blowout win over the Mavericks. Most shocking was the offense. Last season the Heat had a mishmash, sloppy, clunky, uninspiring offense that seemed like a group of uninvolved loiterers occasionally hoisting jumpers with some lobs thrown in. But on Sunday, the Heat unleashed a torrent of firepower, as if all that talk about needing more time to gel had been accurate.
Dwyane Wade was slashing and hitting jumpers.LeBron James showed off a fave-up mid-range game that smacked heavily of a Dirk Nowitzki assimilation. And the Heat ran, ran, ran. They ran the Mavericks out of the building. James even showed off an honest-to-God post game. The nightmare scenario of the Heat living up to their fullest potential came true, at least for three quarters.
The Mavericks didn’t just look discombobulated, they looked disinterested. They were completely overwhelmed on both sides of the ball. It was about as bad a performance as the Heat’s was good. They allowed the Heat to collect 40 percent of their offensive rebounds. It was a disaster.
For the Heat, this game is the standard for them, the late give-up notwithstanding. This is the energy, focus, and execution they need to play with if they want to play at their potential. For the Mavericks, best to forget this game ever happened and move on.
- This was ridiculous.
- Norris Cole actually looked really good for the Heat. He made good moves in transition, forced the issue, and picked up a few hockey assists. His development would be huge for the Heat who need a fast guard with legs to complement Mario Chalmers.
- The Heat’s defense was just as good. They were swarming, rotating, and very much in position to defend the Mavericks’ perimeter attack.
- There was a Texas-sized hole in the shape of Tyson Chandler down low for the Mavericks.
- Lamar Odom was suspended after two technicals, which only begins to show how out-of-control he was Sunday.
- Brian Cardinal airballed a three and then Vince Carter missed consecutive free throws to end any hope of the Mavericks’ comeback.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
The game in Africa felt like an exhibition.
Aug 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s a standard rookie contract for a first-round pick.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He will be one of the favorites to win ROY.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
He was a star with the Buffalo Braves (the franchise that is now the L.A. Clippers).
Aug 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
“Dude, what are you talking about? You’re only a year older than me!” — Giannis Antetokounmpo on Anthony Davis calling him “kid.”
Aug 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Okafor is getting acquainted with his young fans in Philadelphia.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Davis is in talks to re-sign with the Clippers.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Hamilton played 14 games with the Clippers last season.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Rose played in the 2010 and 2014 FIBA World Championships.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
That would be good news for the Spurs and bad news for the rest of the Western Conference.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Noah spent most of last season limited by knee surgery.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
His $4.7 million salary for next season is unguaranteed.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Paul is still in the running for a spot on the 2016 Olympic team.
Aug 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Will this lead to all 30 teams getting their own affiliates?
Hakeem Olajuwon and Dikembe Mutombo make surprise appearances for Team Africa in NBA exhibition game (VIDEO)
Aug 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Team Africa faced off against Team World in Johannesburg.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Mbah a Moute signed a one-year deal with the Kings in July.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Biyombo has worked with Hakeem Olajuwon this summer on post moves, other parts of his game.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
The Nets will be paying the price for their win-now era for a few years to come still.
Aug 1, 2015, 1:11 AM EDT
This is the right move, whether he decides to play in Rio or not.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:08 PM EDT
He looks like a guy who can live up to the No. 1 pick billing.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50