Dec 25, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
Spike Lee was clearly on his way to making Iman Shumpert his new favorite player. Spike was out of his seat plenty cheering on the athletic rookie out of Georgia Tech and you had a feeling Lee’s omnipresent Landry Fields jersey was in danger of being sidelined.
But it is Shumpert that will be sidelined two-to-four weeks with sprained MCL suffered as during a collision with Chris Wilcox, part of a disastrous third quarter by the Knicks. (The Knicks did win the game, 106-104.) It looked pretty painful when it happened so it almost felt like just a sprain was a lot better than it could have been. Still, not good for NYC.
Shumpert had impressed with his athleticism but also looked like a rookie — he had 11 points but on just 3-of-13 shooting. He was getting a lot of run because Mike Bibby is suffering back spasms. Again.
This hurts the Knicks backcourt depth in a season where games are condensed and depth matters. This should mean more Toney Douglas because even if he’s healthy the Knicks aren’t going to want a lot of Bibby on the floor.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona