Dec 25, 2011, 5:08 PM EST
Spike Lee was clearly on his way to making Iman Shumpert his new favorite player. Spike was out of his seat plenty cheering on the athletic rookie out of Georgia Tech and you had a feeling Lee’s omnipresent Landry Fields jersey was in danger of being sidelined.
But it is Shumpert that will be sidelined two-to-four weeks with sprained MCL suffered as during a collision with Chris Wilcox, part of a disastrous third quarter by the Knicks. (The Knicks did win the game, 106-104.) It looked pretty painful when it happened so it almost felt like just a sprain was a lot better than it could have been. Still, not good for NYC.
Shumpert had impressed with his athleticism but also looked like a rookie — he had 11 points but on just 3-of-13 shooting. He was getting a lot of run because Mike Bibby is suffering back spasms. Again.
This hurts the Knicks backcourt depth in a season where games are condensed and depth matters. This should mean more Toney Douglas because even if he’s healthy the Knicks aren’t going to want a lot of Bibby on the floor.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 7
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 18
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 14
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 9
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7