Dec 25, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
Spike Lee was clearly on his way to making Iman Shumpert his new favorite player. Spike was out of his seat plenty cheering on the athletic rookie out of Georgia Tech and you had a feeling Lee’s omnipresent Landry Fields jersey was in danger of being sidelined.
But it is Shumpert that will be sidelined two-to-four weeks with sprained MCL suffered as during a collision with Chris Wilcox, part of a disastrous third quarter by the Knicks. (The Knicks did win the game, 106-104.) It looked pretty painful when it happened so it almost felt like just a sprain was a lot better than it could have been. Still, not good for NYC.
Shumpert had impressed with his athleticism but also looked like a rookie — he had 11 points but on just 3-of-13 shooting. He was getting a lot of run because Mike Bibby is suffering back spasms. Again.
This hurts the Knicks backcourt depth in a season where games are condensed and depth matters. This should mean more Toney Douglas because even if he’s healthy the Knicks aren’t going to want a lot of Bibby on the floor.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 51
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32