Dec 25, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
Spike Lee was clearly on his way to making Iman Shumpert his new favorite player. Spike was out of his seat plenty cheering on the athletic rookie out of Georgia Tech and you had a feeling Lee’s omnipresent Landry Fields jersey was in danger of being sidelined.
But it is Shumpert that will be sidelined two-to-four weeks with sprained MCL suffered as during a collision with Chris Wilcox, part of a disastrous third quarter by the Knicks. (The Knicks did win the game, 106-104.) It looked pretty painful when it happened so it almost felt like just a sprain was a lot better than it could have been. Still, not good for NYC.
Shumpert had impressed with his athleticism but also looked like a rookie — he had 11 points but on just 3-of-13 shooting. He was getting a lot of run because Mike Bibby is suffering back spasms. Again.
This hurts the Knicks backcourt depth in a season where games are condensed and depth matters. This should mean more Toney Douglas because even if he’s healthy the Knicks aren’t going to want a lot of Bibby on the floor.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 15
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 8
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 43
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4