Dec 25, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
Spike Lee was clearly on his way to making Iman Shumpert his new favorite player. Spike was out of his seat plenty cheering on the athletic rookie out of Georgia Tech and you had a feeling Lee’s omnipresent Landry Fields jersey was in danger of being sidelined.
But it is Shumpert that will be sidelined two-to-four weeks with sprained MCL suffered as during a collision with Chris Wilcox, part of a disastrous third quarter by the Knicks. (The Knicks did win the game, 106-104.) It looked pretty painful when it happened so it almost felt like just a sprain was a lot better than it could have been. Still, not good for NYC.
Shumpert had impressed with his athleticism but also looked like a rookie — he had 11 points but on just 3-of-13 shooting. He was getting a lot of run because Mike Bibby is suffering back spasms. Again.
This hurts the Knicks backcourt depth in a season where games are condensed and depth matters. This should mean more Toney Douglas because even if he’s healthy the Knicks aren’t going to want a lot of Bibby on the floor.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 27
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 34
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 43
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42