Dec 24, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
In a trade that if it winds up affecting the NBA season means something has gone horribly horribly wrong, the Memphis Grizzlies traded guard Greivis Vasquez to the New Orleans Hornets for guard-forward Quincy Pondexter.
Grizzlies head coach Lionel Hollins has spoken highly of guard Jeremy Pargo backing up it Mike Conley in preseason play, and Pargo seemed to garner more minutes than Vasquez, despite Vasquez’ contributions to the Grizzlies’ playoff run last season. But the acquisition of Pondexter seems to signal another move is on the horizon. At 6-6, Pondexter will struggle to play down low, which is where the Grizzlies have the most glaring need in terms of depth. Furthermore, now at the wings, the Grizzlies have Rudy Gay, Tony Allen, Sam Young, O.J. Mayo, Josh Selby, and Xavier Henry. Something’s got to give, considering how many minutes RG and Allen will play.
For the Hornets, it’s a low-risk move. They just acquired Al-Farouq Aminu and need a backup point guard. Vasquez doesn’t have a very high ceiling or much room for improvement, but he’s serviceable and always ends up surprising people. It’s not a great move, but it’s not a mistake, either.
A thrilling Christmas-Eve blockbuster, it is.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'