Dec 24, 2011, 8:01 PM EST
In a trade that if it winds up affecting the NBA season means something has gone horribly horribly wrong, the Memphis Grizzlies traded guard Greivis Vasquez to the New Orleans Hornets for guard-forward Quincy Pondexter.
Grizzlies head coach Lionel Hollins has spoken highly of guard Jeremy Pargo backing up it Mike Conley in preseason play, and Pargo seemed to garner more minutes than Vasquez, despite Vasquez’ contributions to the Grizzlies’ playoff run last season. But the acquisition of Pondexter seems to signal another move is on the horizon. At 6-6, Pondexter will struggle to play down low, which is where the Grizzlies have the most glaring need in terms of depth. Furthermore, now at the wings, the Grizzlies have Rudy Gay, Tony Allen, Sam Young, O.J. Mayo, Josh Selby, and Xavier Henry. Something’s got to give, considering how many minutes RG and Allen will play.
For the Hornets, it’s a low-risk move. They just acquired Al-Farouq Aminu and need a backup point guard. Vasquez doesn’t have a very high ceiling or much room for improvement, but he’s serviceable and always ends up surprising people. It’s not a great move, but it’s not a mistake, either.
A thrilling Christmas-Eve blockbuster, it is.
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Vintage Dwyane Wade sighting 0
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 21
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 11
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)