David West tells Ray Allen “you don’t know me.” But nicely.

Dec 24, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT

David West AP

David West was almost a Celtic, and that would have been a good fit for Boston — a pick-and-pop big who can stretch the floor, a former All-Star who would have given the Celtics depth and another way to put points on the board.

But instead he chose to sign with the Pacers. That set Ray Allen off, and he claimed that West was chasing the money rather than the rings.

West says Allen is full of… well, he actually said it more nicely than that to Conrad Brunner of Pacers.com.

“What they’re dealing with up (in Boston) is a lot deeper than David West,” he said after practice Thursday. “When I was figuring out what I was going to do, everybody that knows me knows I’m a thought person. I don’t rush to judgment and the decisions I make are well-thought-out. This was a well-thought-out decision on my part.

“There’s a reason why I’m in Indiana and not anywhere else. This team is young and deep with some really good pieces. And it’s deep.”

Ray Allen was out of line from the start here. Allen learned West was interested in coming to the Celtics from his private banker while the two were playing a round of golf at Augusta. Seriously. If you and your private banker are hanging out, you don’t get to call out people on money issues.

Second, Allen never took less money for a ring — he got traded to Boston mid-contract. He made $16 million the first year he was a Celtic. He did re-sign there but with an eight-digit salary. So again, no calling anyone else out on money issues.

To me West made a good call. With West, the Pacers are going to be a pretty good team, an improving young team. The kind of team Boston may want to avoid in the first round of the playoffs.

1. goforthanddie - Dec 24, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Can’t blame Allen for trying, he knows the Cs are doomed. Can’t blame West for not wanting to circle the drain with them.

2. nazraq - Dec 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Cs are doomed, right about that.. If not for a injured ariza and bynum they would not have the one ring this group do have. Now hate to say it’s time for the young teams to take over… OKC, Miami, Chicago, maybe even Clippers.

• nepatriots128154 - Dec 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM

You could also say they’d have two if it wasn’t for an injured Perkins. Definitely doomed this season, but don’t try and discredit their championship.

3. dalucks - Dec 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I am glad someone did the math and choose the money over the ring. Honestly, the ring is only worth 20K. If I had to choose between a 13 year career and 80 million $ earn with no ring or a 10 year career with 20 million $ earn and a championship ring, give me the 80 million dollars. David West made the right move.

• goforthanddie - Dec 24, 2011 at 3:54 PM

He made the right move, but not because of money. And if you and your descendants can’t live well off of 20mil, it’s better that you never have that option.

4. jmclarkent - Dec 24, 2011 at 7:49 PM

“And it’s deep.”

That’s what she said.

5. missmomo1 - Dec 25, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Why are u so salty Kurt? Its not cute, you just sound bitter. Ray just said what everyone was thinking.

• goforthanddie - Dec 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Yeah, so it’s Ray who sounds bitter. And everyone wasn’t thinking it.

6. chicagofan - Dec 25, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Hope they meet in the playoffs . Ray and West can prove who is on the better team. I doubt Indy is deep enough to beat any of the Eastern Conf contenders this yr or in the near future.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches