Dec 24, 2011, 1:31 PM EST
David West was almost a Celtic, and that would have been a good fit for Boston — a pick-and-pop big who can stretch the floor, a former All-Star who would have given the Celtics depth and another way to put points on the board.
But instead he chose to sign with the Pacers. That set Ray Allen off, and he claimed that West was chasing the money rather than the rings.
West says Allen is full of… well, he actually said it more nicely than that to Conrad Brunner of Pacers.com.
“What they’re dealing with up (in Boston) is a lot deeper than David West,” he said after practice Thursday. “When I was figuring out what I was going to do, everybody that knows me knows I’m a thought person. I don’t rush to judgment and the decisions I make are well-thought-out. This was a well-thought-out decision on my part.
“There’s a reason why I’m in Indiana and not anywhere else. This team is young and deep with some really good pieces. And it’s deep.”
Ray Allen was out of line from the start here. Allen learned West was interested in coming to the Celtics from his private banker while the two were playing a round of golf at Augusta. Seriously. If you and your private banker are hanging out, you don’t get to call out people on money issues.
Second, Allen never took less money for a ring — he got traded to Boston mid-contract. He made $16 million the first year he was a Celtic. He did re-sign there but with an eight-digit salary. So again, no calling anyone else out on money issues.
To me West made a good call. With West, the Pacers are going to be a pretty good team, an improving young team. The kind of team Boston may want to avoid in the first round of the playoffs.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)