Dec 24, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
David West was almost a Celtic, and that would have been a good fit for Boston — a pick-and-pop big who can stretch the floor, a former All-Star who would have given the Celtics depth and another way to put points on the board.
But instead he chose to sign with the Pacers. That set Ray Allen off, and he claimed that West was chasing the money rather than the rings.
West says Allen is full of… well, he actually said it more nicely than that to Conrad Brunner of Pacers.com.
“What they’re dealing with up (in Boston) is a lot deeper than David West,” he said after practice Thursday. “When I was figuring out what I was going to do, everybody that knows me knows I’m a thought person. I don’t rush to judgment and the decisions I make are well-thought-out. This was a well-thought-out decision on my part.
“There’s a reason why I’m in Indiana and not anywhere else. This team is young and deep with some really good pieces. And it’s deep.”
Ray Allen was out of line from the start here. Allen learned West was interested in coming to the Celtics from his private banker while the two were playing a round of golf at Augusta. Seriously. If you and your private banker are hanging out, you don’t get to call out people on money issues.
Second, Allen never took less money for a ring — he got traded to Boston mid-contract. He made $16 million the first year he was a Celtic. He did re-sign there but with an eight-digit salary. So again, no calling anyone else out on money issues.
To me West made a good call. With West, the Pacers are going to be a pretty good team, an improving young team. The kind of team Boston may want to avoid in the first round of the playoffs.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50