Dec 24, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
David West was almost a Celtic, and that would have been a good fit for Boston — a pick-and-pop big who can stretch the floor, a former All-Star who would have given the Celtics depth and another way to put points on the board.
But instead he chose to sign with the Pacers. That set Ray Allen off, and he claimed that West was chasing the money rather than the rings.
West says Allen is full of… well, he actually said it more nicely than that to Conrad Brunner of Pacers.com.
“What they’re dealing with up (in Boston) is a lot deeper than David West,” he said after practice Thursday. “When I was figuring out what I was going to do, everybody that knows me knows I’m a thought person. I don’t rush to judgment and the decisions I make are well-thought-out. This was a well-thought-out decision on my part.
“There’s a reason why I’m in Indiana and not anywhere else. This team is young and deep with some really good pieces. And it’s deep.”
Ray Allen was out of line from the start here. Allen learned West was interested in coming to the Celtics from his private banker while the two were playing a round of golf at Augusta. Seriously. If you and your private banker are hanging out, you don’t get to call out people on money issues.
Second, Allen never took less money for a ring — he got traded to Boston mid-contract. He made $16 million the first year he was a Celtic. He did re-sign there but with an eight-digit salary. So again, no calling anyone else out on money issues.
To me West made a good call. With West, the Pacers are going to be a pretty good team, an improving young team. The kind of team Boston may want to avoid in the first round of the playoffs.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30