Dec 24, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
The Celtics have a horrible bench. Mickael Pietrus has an injury issue. It’s a match made in heaven.
The former Magic wing was waived by the Suns earlier this week, after surgery on his knees helped result in a trade to the Raptors falling through. Now the Boston Globe reports that the Celtics are prepared to claim him once he comes off of waivers for the veteran minimum.
“He would be great,’’ Rivers said. “He would be a good addition for any team. He would be athletic. He would bring us some toughness. He can guard the 2s and the 3s. He can stretch the floor. Whoever gets him will be getting a heck of a player, if he’s healthy.’’
“I think Mike likes the Celtics very much and likes that option very much,’’ said Pietrus’s agent, Bill McCandless. “I guess we’ll open up the present tomorrow at 6:30. There’s one team that was interested in trading for him and it did come down to the wire. I think there’s a 15 percent chance of a waiver claim.’’
Pietrus is a natural fit for the Celtics, even though his defense isn’t top-notch. Defenders improve in Rivers’ system, and his ledngth is good enough to help the Celtics. He’ll be back from knee surgery within a few weeks. The Celtics needed to improve their depth with the Big 3 working on a shortened, brutal schedule, and Paul Pierce already battling a bruised heel which is expected to keep him out of Sunday’s opener vs. the Knicks.
The Celtics should land Pietrus assuming no one else comes in with a superior offer in the next 24 hours. It won’t solve their problems, but it will at least help the bench which has had everything that can go wrong go wrong in the offseason.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 7
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 41
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 8
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 15
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5