Dec 24, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
The Celtics have a horrible bench. Mickael Pietrus has an injury issue. It’s a match made in heaven.
The former Magic wing was waived by the Suns earlier this week, after surgery on his knees helped result in a trade to the Raptors falling through. Now the Boston Globe reports that the Celtics are prepared to claim him once he comes off of waivers for the veteran minimum.
“He would be great,’’ Rivers said. “He would be a good addition for any team. He would be athletic. He would bring us some toughness. He can guard the 2s and the 3s. He can stretch the floor. Whoever gets him will be getting a heck of a player, if he’s healthy.’’
“I think Mike likes the Celtics very much and likes that option very much,’’ said Pietrus’s agent, Bill McCandless. “I guess we’ll open up the present tomorrow at 6:30. There’s one team that was interested in trading for him and it did come down to the wire. I think there’s a 15 percent chance of a waiver claim.’’
Pietrus is a natural fit for the Celtics, even though his defense isn’t top-notch. Defenders improve in Rivers’ system, and his ledngth is good enough to help the Celtics. He’ll be back from knee surgery within a few weeks. The Celtics needed to improve their depth with the Big 3 working on a shortened, brutal schedule, and Paul Pierce already battling a bruised heel which is expected to keep him out of Sunday’s opener vs. the Knicks.
The Celtics should land Pietrus assuming no one else comes in with a superior offer in the next 24 hours. It won’t solve their problems, but it will at least help the bench which has had everything that can go wrong go wrong in the offseason.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 15
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21