Dec 24, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
The Celtics have a horrible bench. Mickael Pietrus has an injury issue. It’s a match made in heaven.
The former Magic wing was waived by the Suns earlier this week, after surgery on his knees helped result in a trade to the Raptors falling through. Now the Boston Globe reports that the Celtics are prepared to claim him once he comes off of waivers for the veteran minimum.
“He would be great,’’ Rivers said. “He would be a good addition for any team. He would be athletic. He would bring us some toughness. He can guard the 2s and the 3s. He can stretch the floor. Whoever gets him will be getting a heck of a player, if he’s healthy.’’
“I think Mike likes the Celtics very much and likes that option very much,’’ said Pietrus’s agent, Bill McCandless. “I guess we’ll open up the present tomorrow at 6:30. There’s one team that was interested in trading for him and it did come down to the wire. I think there’s a 15 percent chance of a waiver claim.’’
Pietrus is a natural fit for the Celtics, even though his defense isn’t top-notch. Defenders improve in Rivers’ system, and his ledngth is good enough to help the Celtics. He’ll be back from knee surgery within a few weeks. The Celtics needed to improve their depth with the Big 3 working on a shortened, brutal schedule, and Paul Pierce already battling a bruised heel which is expected to keep him out of Sunday’s opener vs. the Knicks.
The Celtics should land Pietrus assuming no one else comes in with a superior offer in the next 24 hours. It won’t solve their problems, but it will at least help the bench which has had everything that can go wrong go wrong in the offseason.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 3
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 9
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16