People still want to be like Mike, fighting over Air Jordans

Dec 23, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT

air-jordan-XI

It’s got to be the shoes!

The retro Air Jordan Concord 2011s dropped Friday and people have flat out lost it. Not you dear reader, but the unwashed masses of sneakerheads out there.

In Seattle police had to use pepper spray and made an arrest in a crowd of more than 1,000 who showed up waiting for one store to open and start selling the shoes. In Lithonia, Ga. (near Atlanta) four people were arrested in a similar situation.

There was a frenzy online as well as orders crashed a couple shoe sites (not Nike’s site, but others), CNBC’s Darren Rovell reports on twitter.

Really people?

You know, when I read that some woman used pepper spray on Black Friday at a Wal*Mart, I shrug because that doesn’t seem out of place for some reason. But rioting over Air Jordans? That I didn’t see coming.

Don’t think we’ll ever see that over the retro Kobe Zoom series.

1. edmazeing1 - Dec 23, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Those jordans where voted #1 of all time, too bad I was not in the mood to wait outside footlocker at 12am!!!

2. jobotjones - Dec 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM

These are one of my favorites of all time. The rarity of these sneakers causes people to do stupid things as shown by this article. If you think this is bad just wait for a re-release of the OG Aqua 8′s.

3. rooney24 - Dec 23, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I don’t get it. There are just shoes. Granted, I don’t buy Nike largely because I don’t like how they do business, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. When I used to still buy Nikes 15-20 years ago, the last couple of pairs that I did buy were crap – not well made and fell apart more quickly than cheaper brands.

4. andyp03 - Dec 23, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Definitely the hottest Jordans. Honestly though, I would take a pair of Answer IV’s over these any day of the week!

5. a185 - Dec 23, 2011 at 5:52 PM

The best looking Jordans to me are the 13s and that’s it. The problem with Jordans are they look bulky the other problem is these are retros and when I was a teenager retros were cheaper than new Jordans. I also the 16s Bugs Bunny’s and I think the 18s

6. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I guess I must be REALLY old, because to me, retro Jordans would be the Black and Red patent leather ones that were the first to come out. These look like newfangled sneakers to me.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

7. frankvzappa - Dec 23, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Reading about how stupid people have become in this country makes me understand fascism.

8. bbeeson500 - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Concord 11s will always be the best!

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches