Dec 23, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
Brook Lopez had successful surgery Friday to fix the stress fracture in his fifth metatarsal (the long bone above the little toe) in his foot, the team announced.
What really matters to them is they expect him back in six to eight weeks, in mid to late February. Which is before the March 15 trading deadline. Which is about when the Orlando Magic will get around to trading Dwight Howard. Lopez is at the heart of the Nets package to try and get Howard (which has not wowed the Magic brass enough yet
Here is the official word from the doctor:
“A single screw was inserted into the bone to stabilize the fracture and speed up the healing process,” said Dr. O’Malley. “He was placed in a boot and will walk with the aid of crutches. Brook will begin his rehab in two weeks.”
Over at netsarescorching.com they did a great look a back at others who suffered this same injury and the result was that most bounced back fine a few months later. Pau Gasol had the surgery in 2006, Mike Bibby in 2002, Elton Brand way back in his Duke Days. Those guys and others never had issues with their foot again.
The question of how this impacts Lopez’s trade value are still out there, but at least it looks like the Nets will get to find out.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 7
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional