‘Melo says Knicks, himself committed to defense… stop laughing

Dec 23, 2011, 3:13 PM EDT

New Jersey Nets v New York Knicks Getty Images

Carmelo Anthony understands it — the difference between the Bulls and Heat versus his Knicks is defense. Last season the Bulls and Heat were both top five in defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions), the Knicks were 23rd giving up seven more points per 100. That won’t get it done.

And ‘Melo is committed to change it. No, not just by watching Tyson Chandler do all the work, but by defending himself.

Stop laughing city of Denver. He means it. Here is what he told Newsday.

“I get tired of hearing we don’t play defense, I don’t play defense,” he said after the game. “I just wanted to get out there and do it. I just wanted to show it….”

Long before the arrival of Tyson Chandler, Anthony said the Knicks “can be a great defensive team” and put himself out in front of that mission.

“I’ll lead that charge,” he said in October. “I’ll take that stance . . . At the end of the day, we will be a great defensive team.”

The Knicks are not going to be the Heat or Bulls defensively, but they don’t need to be. They are going to score a lot with Anthony and Amare Stoudemire, New York just needs to play good defense and they are going to win a lot.

Tyson Chandler alone can raise the Knicks to an average defensive team, but it will take a full commitment like Anthony is talking about to do any better. Well, honestly it’s going to take some better defensive players on the roster to make more big strides, but if the attitude is right it will be a big step.

We’ll see how long it lasts.

1. 00maltliquor - Dec 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM

LOL

• KC Downey - Dec 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM

ROFLMFAO

• fittytuckin - Dec 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM

ROFLMMeffingAO

• pellypell - Dec 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM

CarmeLOL.

2. sebstos29 - Dec 23, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Anthony and Defense in the same sentence ? it’s definitly christmas man !!

3. thatboi901 - Dec 23, 2011 at 3:57 PM

We saw it in preseason. He was committed to defense….then got crossed over. Committed nonetheless

4. danielcp0303 - Dec 23, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Yeah right…and I’m gonna stop tuning into highly questionable programs late at night just because my wife might wake up

5. leearmon - Dec 23, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I think many are suffering from revisionist history. Remember about 5 years ago, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen were laughed at when thought of as good defensive players, but Kevin Garnett came and turned things around. I doubt Carmelo will ever be a great to above average defensive player. He does not posses great foot speed to keep up with the better wing players in the league, but the same holds true for Paul Pierce. I think the fact that Chandler is anchoring the middle will help everyone on New York. Don’t believe me? Ask Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry. And Kurt I think you keep underrating Iman Shumpert’s defense. Maybe you don’t consider him a good player, similar to how you viewed Landry Fields prior to the start of last season, but you may be in for a pleasant, or unpleasant in your case surprise.

• entropy13 - Dec 25, 2011 at 2:35 AM

Ray Allen was a good defensive player even when he was still with the Bucks.

• leearmon - Dec 25, 2011 at 8:54 AM

No disrespect, but I have no idea where you got that from.

With the exception of his years in Seattle where he posted a defensive rating of 116 and two seasons of 112 his worst seasons consistently were in Milwaukee. He had 3 different years with a drtg of 110 and one of 109. I have no clue how you could say he was a “good” defensive player with the Bucks.

6. patrick10311211 - Dec 23, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Melo n defense — yeah I’m still laughing

7. damnyankee13 - Dec 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM

the knick fans will be the ones turning on the laugh tracks when its all said and done. While we may not be the top D team in the league,with our O, all we needed is 1 or 2 good D men and we should have at the least an average D team which in turn will help our O..So, seasons not even started yet, the real one, and all ready you’re putting us down/O-O-O-O-O
    He who lughes lasy laughs best so laugh all you want to now.We shall see later.

8. 973yenots - Dec 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Defense my ass! I’ll believe it when I see it! But Chandler gives them a little hope!

9. cantonbound13 - Dec 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM

As long as the game is close when they play the Heat, I’ll put my money on Carmelo hitting the big shot over LeBron, aka the Chokin’ One.

10. burm61 - Dec 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Its a play on words. Its not hard to be committed but its the level of commitment that is in question.

11. theghostofwillisreed - Dec 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM

kurt’s only feeling ornery because since the decline of his beloved lakers is about to get underway that he’s going to be forced to talk about the knicks more often.

god forbid he actually watches a preseaon game where melo actually was seen playing better defense…

nah..that would make him have to do research for his articles.

12. mojowheelz - Dec 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Too bad Melo couldn’t have seen the importance of defense when he played with his former team. Karl implored Melo to play both ends of the floor….and Melo wonders why he only got past the first round once. Pardon me, but seem slike Melo only finds the will to change when it suits him. Surpise, another self-centerd player who wasted the time of his former teammates, coaches and fans in Denver. It wasn’t that the Nuggets did not surround Melo with talent, he was just apathetic to expanding his game in Denver. Glad he is going to be learning from a defensive mastermind like Dumb’toni. George Karl must be rolling his eyes and choking on his lozenge about now.

• theghostofwillisreed - Dec 24, 2011 at 1:59 AM

get over it.

• mojowheelz - Dec 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Nothing to get over. I’m glad Melo is gone, but think it is laughable that now he is singing the song that George Karl spent several seasons trying to teach him about defense. I also think it is a joke that the Knicks think that D’antoni is the answer at coach. Karl took a lot of his players and had them playing better than D’antoni ever did, because he preached a team game and demanded defense from his players. The only way that the Knicks have a better team than the Nuggets this season, is if the coach gets replaced sooner rather than later.

13. leearmon - Dec 24, 2011 at 12:46 PM

George Karl preaching defense???? Thats a joke, you may want to research history and you will find that Karl is no Pat Riley. Also when doing your research see that Gallo and Chandler’s numbers actually dropped when playing for Karl. Same goes for Felton. But don’t let facts get in the way of a nice rant.

• mojowheelz - Dec 24, 2011 at 11:19 PM

The facts are, that if a whole team are playing defense and defense other than just a few, then numbers are going to change. How many post game, in-between game and out of season interviews did you ever watch with George Karl when he was Melo’s coach? He did everything short of beg Melo to play defense. It makes me happy to see more players involved in the defense and offense of the Nuggets, so it makes it harder to key on one or two players….hence the term TEAM. I am excited to see if the team game of the Nuggets can be a winning formula over the course of of this truncated season, and also to see if the Knicks can succeed with their new makeup. I only wish the Knicks would help themselves by getting a better coach, so they could slobber knock the Heat and Celtics.

14. dysraw1 - Dec 24, 2011 at 1:29 PM

you go son half of the problem is mind set.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches