Dec 23, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
Barnes said the Clippers should be feeling some positive vibes after adding Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Caron Butler and re-signing DeAndre Jordan this month, but thinks they may have gone overboard in showing that enthusiasm.
“They definitely have a much improved team here and are looking to make a push towards the playoffs,” Barnes said Thursday after the Clippers beat the Lakers in a pair of preseason games on Monday and Wednesday. “They have a lot of reason to be excited, but all the celebration after dunks and all that kind of stuff, I mean, I just kind of think it looks amazing and it makes ‘SportsCenter,’ but I mean, let’s just play basketball.”
Count Barnes as one person not exactly thrilled by the “Lob City” Clippers.
“They act like they won the dunk contest after every dunk,” Barnes said. “So, as players, people aren’t going to tolerate that.”
Barnes also discussed the flagrant-1 penalty he received for shoving Blake Griffin to the floor in the 3rd quarter of Wednesday’s game. Instead of apologizing, Barnes called Griffin a “flopper” and bemoaned the fact that, according to Barnes, “there’s no such thing as a hard foul anymore.”
For me, the main takeaway from this is that there’s finally a real rivalry between the two basketball teams that call the Staples Center their home. The Lakers have always been the undisputed kings of LA — now the Clippers are threatening that, and they’re doing it with a player the Lakers tried to trade for. Wednesday’s chippy game and Barnes’ comments seemed to mark the official beginning of a true rivalry in the City of Angels — personally, I can’t wait for more.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 0
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 4
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 26
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 21
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17