Dec 23, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
Barnes said the Clippers should be feeling some positive vibes after adding Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Caron Butler and re-signing DeAndre Jordan this month, but thinks they may have gone overboard in showing that enthusiasm.
“They definitely have a much improved team here and are looking to make a push towards the playoffs,” Barnes said Thursday after the Clippers beat the Lakers in a pair of preseason games on Monday and Wednesday. “They have a lot of reason to be excited, but all the celebration after dunks and all that kind of stuff, I mean, I just kind of think it looks amazing and it makes ‘SportsCenter,’ but I mean, let’s just play basketball.”
Count Barnes as one person not exactly thrilled by the “Lob City” Clippers.
“They act like they won the dunk contest after every dunk,” Barnes said. “So, as players, people aren’t going to tolerate that.”
Barnes also discussed the flagrant-1 penalty he received for shoving Blake Griffin to the floor in the 3rd quarter of Wednesday’s game. Instead of apologizing, Barnes called Griffin a “flopper” and bemoaned the fact that, according to Barnes, “there’s no such thing as a hard foul anymore.”
For me, the main takeaway from this is that there’s finally a real rivalry between the two basketball teams that call the Staples Center their home. The Lakers have always been the undisputed kings of LA — now the Clippers are threatening that, and they’re doing it with a player the Lakers tried to trade for. Wednesday’s chippy game and Barnes’ comments seemed to mark the official beginning of a true rivalry in the City of Angels — personally, I can’t wait for more.
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 6
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 10
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 26
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10