Howard says relationship with Van Gundy “needs to grow”

Dec 23, 2011, 11:58 AM EDT

Dwight Howard Stan Van Gundy Getty Images

Dwight Howard and Stan Van Gundy sat down and talked for over an hour not long after training camps opened, and you can bet the topic was not the best way to brine a turkey before cooking it on Christmas.

Their relationship is going to impact the Magic on the court and ultimately if Howard is wearing a Magic jersey next season or not. (While most of the world sees Howard moving on, in Orlando they think they still have a shot at keeping him.)

Howard wants Van Gundy to be less negative and wants the freedom to police guys more himself, the center told the Orlando Sentinel.

“We both have our ways that we lead the team, and they follow. The main thing is that people have to see that me and Stan are on the same page and we’re not bumping heads. Then everything else will fall in line….

“One thing I told Stan is that our relationship, we have to have a great relationship,” Howard said. “Our relationship has to grow in order for this team to go to where we want to get to.”

If (really, when) Howard leaves the Magic it is not on Stan Van Gundy. We know Van Gundy can coach teams to contender status, the reason the Magic are not contenders is the roster assembled. That’s on the front office. But the relationship with Van Gundy would be a part of the decision.

1. thatboi901 - Dec 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM

So…. he’s not happy with his coach, GM or the players around him yet the magic still think they can convince him to stay??

• bparmalee - Dec 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I agree… the Magic get closer everyday to getting re-Shaqed. The Magic need to realize that Howard is a child and like every child he has no idea what he will want five minutes from now. There are only two teams they trade Howard to so just make a deal. You arent going anywhere with Howard. Name the last star player that said “I want to go to Orlando to play with Dwight Howard”.

2. florida727 - Dec 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM

“The relationship needs to grow” is code for… “I can’t stand the guy, or have any respect for him as a coach, but I have to tolerate him until a trade deal comes down or they can his @$$”. Okay. I understand now.

3. acharlot5 - Dec 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I live in orlando.. I have wondered for the past couple years why Van Gundy is not getting any blame for this team as well as Otis Smith. Your not going to win a championship shooting 3 pointers all game long. There have been numerous possesions on offense that Dwight doesn’t even touch the ball. You’ve got the most dominate big man in the league with a good low post game but you dont give him the ball? WTH is going on in the offices? You just built a new Arena u cant afford to lose Dwight and have this team go into irrelevancy for the next 10 years. Do whatever it takes to make the man stay. Fire Van Gundy keep Dwight involved in trade talks and pick ups Do whatever it takes to Keep this man in a Magic uniform. I never under stood why fans get mad at Dwight he’s playing out his contract and doing everything he should be. Don’t be mad at him be mad at the orginization as a whole

• gpatrick15 - Dec 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM

While I agree with most of what you say, I disagree in basically letting Dwight run the franchise. While I personally can’t stand Van Gundy, he’s a pretty good coach. I think every star player should be kept posted in the teams pick ups and trade talks, however that is different from letting them bring in their friends and whoever else they think can fit. Otis Smith should have been canned long ago, but keep Van Gundy. No need to ax VG if Dwight leaves.

I don’t care if Dwight stays or goes, as I’m not a Magic fan. I do think he should take a page out of Carmelo Anthony’s book and keep the discussions in house. Don’t air out the dirty laundry to the hungry media hounds. Request your trade, play, and get paid. Dwight’s problem is that he HAS to be liked.

• bparmalee - Dec 23, 2011 at 2:32 PM

The Magic organization has made mistakes to be sure but the fact is they are Orlando… no LA. They have no assets…. they havent had any for awhile… and no one wants to come play there with Howard. When Howard says they should trade for this guy or that guy…. that shows how little he understands. This isnt NBA2K where you can just turn on the trade override… teams arent just going to give you players because you want them.

4. acharlot5 - Dec 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I live in orlando.. I have wondered for the past couple years why Van Gundy is not getting any blame for this team as well as Otis Smith. Your not going to win a championship shooting 3 pointers all game long. There have been numerous possesions on offense that Dwight doesn’t even touch the ball. You’ve got the most dominate big man in the league with a good low post game but you dont give him the ball? WTH is going on in the offices? You just built a new Arena u cant afford to lose Dwight and have this team go into irrelevancy for the next 10 years. Do whatever it takes to make the man stay. Fire Van Gundy keep Dwight involved in trade talks and pick ups Do whatever it takes to Keep this man in a Magic uniform. I never under stood why fans get mad at Dwight he’s playing out his contract and doing everything he should be. Don’t be mad at him be mad at the organization as a whole

5. Gordon - Dec 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Wow…this guy is a major league whiner.

6. goforthanddie - Dec 23, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Someone’s becoming an unlikeable primadonna.

7. brooklynbulls - Dec 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Just when I thought no player could annoy me more than Lebron, Melo came along and proved me wrong. Just when I’m ready to annoint him “king of pain in the a$$” D12 comes with his incessant whining and ever changing mind and can only point out how others have failed him and what they need to do to make it better. As someone said before, he is coming off like a child who changes his mind every five minutes

8. jagwar73 - Dec 24, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Dwight Howard is a sidekick, he’s not an alpha dog. He can’t lead. He needs a strong-minded guard to tell him where to post up and when he’s going to get the ball. Maybe then he will be successful.
    Stop acting like you’re 18 and 150 lbs. You have the talent to win wherever YOU are. Last I checked, you are the biggest, baddest dude around. Accept the challenge and act like it!
    Dwight will win a championship one day but he will be in a second option. Him and D Wade would have been a great fit. Can you imagine D Wade screaming at Dwight Howard and Dwight playing even harder? Dwight will be inspired one day and he will win. As soon as he starts acting his age. Grow up Dwight!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches