Dec 23, 2011, 6:35 PM EDT
We’re a long way away from the Chicken Little “the sky is falling” predictions about the Celtics season coming true, but this isn’t a good start.
Pierce did light shooting after practice and Rivers noted he has been working out more. If he were able to suit up, Rivers would limit his minute off the bench.
“Paul may wake up and say, ‘Coach, I want to go,’ ” Rivers said. “I can tell you this, it’s very unlikely he’ll start if he plays. I don’t think that’ll happen. So if he does play, he’ll play 15, 20 minutes, but right now I don’t see him playing.”
Which is bad news against the firepower the Knicks bring to the table. With Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire New York is going to put up points, even against a good Celtics defense. The Celtics should be able to put up points of their own against what should be an improved but not rock solid Knicks defense. But being without Pierce and his shot creating skills tilts the scales toward the Knicks.
- Wednesday NBA grades: Kevin Durant ends season exactly like you think he would 0
- Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set 29
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 5
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 38
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 17