Dec 22, 2011, 8:14 PM EST
The Suns waived Mickael Pietrus after reaching a financial agreement, the team announced via a brief press release on Thursday.
Phoenix had attempted to trade Pietrus to Toronto for a conditional second round draft pick, but the deal fell through after Pietrus was found to not yet be healed from the knee injury that sidelined him for the final 12 games of last season.
Even after the failed trade attempt, it didn’t appear at all like Pietrus would be back with the Suns this year. The team’s president of basketball operations, Lon Babby, was all business in discussing his status shortly after the trade was cancelled, and it just seemed like the Suns would find a way to ensure that Pietrus would play somewhere other than Phoenix this season.
Before the Suns’ preseason home game against the Nuggets, head coach Alvin Gentry was asked why Pietrus wasn’t a fit, and to him, it seemed clear that Pietrus, for whatever reason, just wasn’t happy in Phoenix.
“I don’t know that,” Gentry answered. “I was excited about getting him. I think that, like I’ve said, he had size, he was really kind of our kind of player — a big guy that can shoot the ball, three-pointers and stuff like that. I think in order for it to be a good fit, you’ve got to want to be here. And I’m not sure if he was ever fully engaged in being here.”
UPDATE: Pietrus is “leaning heavily” towards signing with the Celtics, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com. He would need to clear waivers first, but if that happens, it looks like Boston may be at the top of his list.
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 0
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 12
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41