Dec 22, 2011, 8:14 PM EDT
The Suns waived Mickael Pietrus after reaching a financial agreement, the team announced via a brief press release on Thursday.
Phoenix had attempted to trade Pietrus to Toronto for a conditional second round draft pick, but the deal fell through after Pietrus was found to not yet be healed from the knee injury that sidelined him for the final 12 games of last season.
Even after the failed trade attempt, it didn’t appear at all like Pietrus would be back with the Suns this year. The team’s president of basketball operations, Lon Babby, was all business in discussing his status shortly after the trade was cancelled, and it just seemed like the Suns would find a way to ensure that Pietrus would play somewhere other than Phoenix this season.
Before the Suns’ preseason home game against the Nuggets, head coach Alvin Gentry was asked why Pietrus wasn’t a fit, and to him, it seemed clear that Pietrus, for whatever reason, just wasn’t happy in Phoenix.
“I don’t know that,” Gentry answered. “I was excited about getting him. I think that, like I’ve said, he had size, he was really kind of our kind of player — a big guy that can shoot the ball, three-pointers and stuff like that. I think in order for it to be a good fit, you’ve got to want to be here. And I’m not sure if he was ever fully engaged in being here.”
UPDATE: Pietrus is “leaning heavily” towards signing with the Celtics, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com. He would need to clear waivers first, but if that happens, it looks like Boston may be at the top of his list.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 1
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 41
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59