Dec 22, 2011, 9:44 AM EDT
DeShawn Stevenson was once dissed in a Jay-Z song because of the players running feud with LeBron James (something that flared up again during the NBA finals last year when Stevenson was with the Mavericks).
Soon, Stevenson will play for Jay-Z and his Nets.
Stevenson has reached a contract deal with the New Jersey Nets, according to Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News. It’s a one-year deal worth $2.5 million (the Nets are still all about the cap space for next summer).
Stevenson started 54 games for the Mavs last year but he will come off the bench and have to fight for minutes in a crowded Nets backcourt. Anthony Morrow is the starter at the two guard, Marshon Brooks can play that roll off the bench (or be the three), and there is also Stephen Graham. (At the point the Nets are pretty set with Deron Williams and Jordan Farmar.)
What Stevenson brings is some defensive intensity the Nets have lacked at the wing — and a guy who will get in LeBron’s face. That is what can get him some run.
On offense, the vast majority of Stevenson’s shot attempts were from three last season (all but about one shot a game) and he hit 37.8 percent of them, which was a career high.
Blow the whistle.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 12
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 19
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy