Dec 22, 2011, 12:14 PM EST
The representatives for Chuck Hayes — who did not pass his physical with the Sacramento Kings and had rumors swirling of a serious heart condition — say none of that is true.
Hayes has been cleared to play, according to his agent.
Here is the report, from Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
Free agent Chuck Hayes, whose four-year deal with the Kings was voided after he failed the team’s physical, has been absolved of any heart issues by the renowned Cleveland Clinic, his agents said Thursday.
Hayes underwent “a full day of exhaustive testing and exams” Wednesday, directed by Dr. Steven Nissen, the chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, according to a statement released by agent Calvin Andrews of BDA Sports. On Thursday morning, doctors informed Hayes that “he does not have a heart problem” and that “their recommendation is that he can continue to play basketball without any concerns,” the statement said.
First and foremost, that is good news for a good player. He’s the kind of hard-nosed player who gets the most out of his gifts that the league could use more of.
Hayes is a free agent again. He had a four-year, $21 million deal with the Kings that the team voided after he didn’t pass his physical, but that deal could be revived. If the Kings are still interested. The Houston Rockets had been the other suitor for Hayes but they just signed Samuel Dalembert so how hard a push will they make? The Spurs and Timberwolves also are reportedly in the mix.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)