Dec 22, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
The representatives for Chuck Hayes — who did not pass his physical with the Sacramento Kings and had rumors swirling of a serious heart condition — say none of that is true.
Hayes has been cleared to play, according to his agent.
Here is the report, from Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
Free agent Chuck Hayes, whose four-year deal with the Kings was voided after he failed the team’s physical, has been absolved of any heart issues by the renowned Cleveland Clinic, his agents said Thursday.
Hayes underwent “a full day of exhaustive testing and exams” Wednesday, directed by Dr. Steven Nissen, the chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, according to a statement released by agent Calvin Andrews of BDA Sports. On Thursday morning, doctors informed Hayes that “he does not have a heart problem” and that “their recommendation is that he can continue to play basketball without any concerns,” the statement said.
First and foremost, that is good news for a good player. He’s the kind of hard-nosed player who gets the most out of his gifts that the league could use more of.
Hayes is a free agent again. He had a four-year, $21 million deal with the Kings that the team voided after he didn’t pass his physical, but that deal could be revived. If the Kings are still interested. The Houston Rockets had been the other suitor for Hayes but they just signed Samuel Dalembert so how hard a push will they make? The Spurs and Timberwolves also are reportedly in the mix.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 21
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14