Dec 22, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
The representatives for Chuck Hayes — who did not pass his physical with the Sacramento Kings and had rumors swirling of a serious heart condition — say none of that is true.
Hayes has been cleared to play, according to his agent.
Here is the report, from Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
Free agent Chuck Hayes, whose four-year deal with the Kings was voided after he failed the team’s physical, has been absolved of any heart issues by the renowned Cleveland Clinic, his agents said Thursday.
Hayes underwent “a full day of exhaustive testing and exams” Wednesday, directed by Dr. Steven Nissen, the chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, according to a statement released by agent Calvin Andrews of BDA Sports. On Thursday morning, doctors informed Hayes that “he does not have a heart problem” and that “their recommendation is that he can continue to play basketball without any concerns,” the statement said.
First and foremost, that is good news for a good player. He’s the kind of hard-nosed player who gets the most out of his gifts that the league could use more of.
Hayes is a free agent again. He had a four-year, $21 million deal with the Kings that the team voided after he didn’t pass his physical, but that deal could be revived. If the Kings are still interested. The Houston Rockets had been the other suitor for Hayes but they just signed Samuel Dalembert so how hard a push will they make? The Spurs and Timberwolves also are reportedly in the mix.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9