Dec 21, 2011, 8:11 AM EDT
The point of Stephen Curry’s offseason right ankle surgery was to tighten tendons and strengthen a part of the body prone to injury.
But here we go again. And Warriors fans should feel a little queasy.
In the second quarter of his second preseason game (against Sacramento Tuesday night), Curry rolled that same ankle pretty badly, reports Matt Steinmetz at CSNBayArea.com.
He was helped directly to the locker room and looked to be in considerable pain; he did not put weight on the ankle and did not return to the game.
X-rays revealed a sprained right ankle and the Warriors announced that Curry will be re-evaluated on Wednesday.
Curry left the arena on crutches and did not speak with the media. Can’t really blame him there.
Curry missed eight games and was hobbled much of the second half of the season with ankle issues. There are serious questions now if he will be ready to go for the Warriors on Christmas Day, when the Los Angeles Clippers roll into town.
The recurrence is real trouble for the Warriors, who are counting on their young point guard to take a big step forward and develop chemistry with Monta Ellis. They still hold out some hope the two can grow together and become the cornerstone to rebuild around. If Curry is going to miss any serious amounts of time new coach Mark Jackson is going to have to come up with better lines than “mamma, there goes that man” to get the Warriors to sniff the playoffs.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 2
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 5
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 16
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34