Dec 21, 2011, 1:30 AM EDT
UPDATE Dec. 21, 1:30 am: It’s official, Reggie Evans is a Clipper. The team has announced the deal.
This is a good signing by the Clips — it addresses a need with a player who does one thing exceptionally well at the NBA level. He doesn’t cost much, will come off the bench and Clipper fans will grow to love the grit.
The Clippers keep making all the right moves. Never thought I’d type that sentence.
Dec. 20, 11:37 pm: The Clippers have looked really good though one preseason game, which has Los Angeles (and the league) buzzing? How good can they really be?
Maybe we should wait for games that count to see how they are answering the questions still around this team. Like how well they will play defense and if Vinny Del Negro is the coach who can get them to do it? Or if Chauncey Billups can really play off the ball consistently (because Chris Paul is your PG)?
Another question is front line depth but Clips are trying to address that one — they are near a deal to sign rebounding machine Reggie Evans, according to the Los Angeles Times.
It would be a one-year deal for $1.3 million. The Celtics, Grizzlies, Nets and Kings were also said to be in the mix for Evans.
Evans grabbed 25.6 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor last season in Toronto (11.5 per game in 26 minutes). Think about that — one in four missed shots landed in Evans hands. That’s Rodman-like. It was the highest percentage in the league — but he only played in 30 games due to injury. He would be a great guy off the bench for the Clippers, scoring is not their issue but his solid play would be a good fit.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4