Dec 21, 2011, 1:30 AM EDT
UPDATE Dec. 21, 1:30 am: It’s official, Reggie Evans is a Clipper. The team has announced the deal.
This is a good signing by the Clips — it addresses a need with a player who does one thing exceptionally well at the NBA level. He doesn’t cost much, will come off the bench and Clipper fans will grow to love the grit.
The Clippers keep making all the right moves. Never thought I’d type that sentence.
Dec. 20, 11:37 pm: The Clippers have looked really good though one preseason game, which has Los Angeles (and the league) buzzing? How good can they really be?
Maybe we should wait for games that count to see how they are answering the questions still around this team. Like how well they will play defense and if Vinny Del Negro is the coach who can get them to do it? Or if Chauncey Billups can really play off the ball consistently (because Chris Paul is your PG)?
Another question is front line depth but Clips are trying to address that one — they are near a deal to sign rebounding machine Reggie Evans, according to the Los Angeles Times.
It would be a one-year deal for $1.3 million. The Celtics, Grizzlies, Nets and Kings were also said to be in the mix for Evans.
Evans grabbed 25.6 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor last season in Toronto (11.5 per game in 26 minutes). Think about that — one in four missed shots landed in Evans hands. That’s Rodman-like. It was the highest percentage in the league — but he only played in 30 games due to injury. He would be a great guy off the bench for the Clippers, scoring is not their issue but his solid play would be a good fit.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6