Dec 21, 2011, 1:30 AM EST
UPDATE Dec. 21, 1:30 am: It’s official, Reggie Evans is a Clipper. The team has announced the deal.
This is a good signing by the Clips — it addresses a need with a player who does one thing exceptionally well at the NBA level. He doesn’t cost much, will come off the bench and Clipper fans will grow to love the grit.
The Clippers keep making all the right moves. Never thought I’d type that sentence.
Dec. 20, 11:37 pm: The Clippers have looked really good though one preseason game, which has Los Angeles (and the league) buzzing? How good can they really be?
Maybe we should wait for games that count to see how they are answering the questions still around this team. Like how well they will play defense and if Vinny Del Negro is the coach who can get them to do it? Or if Chauncey Billups can really play off the ball consistently (because Chris Paul is your PG)?
Another question is front line depth but Clips are trying to address that one — they are near a deal to sign rebounding machine Reggie Evans, according to the Los Angeles Times.
It would be a one-year deal for $1.3 million. The Celtics, Grizzlies, Nets and Kings were also said to be in the mix for Evans.
Evans grabbed 25.6 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor last season in Toronto (11.5 per game in 26 minutes). Think about that — one in four missed shots landed in Evans hands. That’s Rodman-like. It was the highest percentage in the league — but he only played in 30 games due to injury. He would be a great guy off the bench for the Clippers, scoring is not their issue but his solid play would be a good fit.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)