Dec 21, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
You get the feeling Nike is the puppet master on this one, pulling all the strings…
Monday the Miami Heat signed a sponsorship agreement with Chinese beer company Tsingtao, and that may be the first step to a preseason tour of China for the Heat next season, reports the Sun Sentinel (via SLAM).
“We’re not in control of that, the NBA is. But we have every reason to believe that we are high on the list of teams that they’ll be inviting over to China, if not next year certainly soon,” said Eric Woolworth, Heat president of business operations. “I believe it’s in the pipeline.”
NBA players do tours of Nike every summer, doing clinics and the like, to promote their shoe brand — Kobe Bryant has been going on behalf of Nike for years. It should be noted that LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all are part of the Nike shoe family.
But this is bigger than just shoes — David Stern is all about globalization of the game and wants to tap into the massive Chinese market. Sending a marquee team like the Heat makes some sense from a marketing perspective. Which often around the NBA is the only perspective that matters.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22