Dec 21, 2011, 1:47 PM EST
You get the feeling Nike is the puppet master on this one, pulling all the strings…
Monday the Miami Heat signed a sponsorship agreement with Chinese beer company Tsingtao, and that may be the first step to a preseason tour of China for the Heat next season, reports the Sun Sentinel (via SLAM).
“We’re not in control of that, the NBA is. But we have every reason to believe that we are high on the list of teams that they’ll be inviting over to China, if not next year certainly soon,” said Eric Woolworth, Heat president of business operations. “I believe it’s in the pipeline.”
NBA players do tours of Nike every summer, doing clinics and the like, to promote their shoe brand — Kobe Bryant has been going on behalf of Nike for years. It should be noted that LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all are part of the Nike shoe family.
But this is bigger than just shoes — David Stern is all about globalization of the game and wants to tap into the massive Chinese market. Sending a marquee team like the Heat makes some sense from a marketing perspective. Which often around the NBA is the only perspective that matters.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20