Dec 21, 2011, 11:55 AM EDT
Nicolas Batum is one of those players you leave the game talking about. You head into the Rose Garden in Portland thinking about LaMarcus Aldridge or Jamal Crawford, but when you leave the guy who jumps out at you is Batum.
Which is why the Blazers are about to talk contract extension with the fourth-year player, according to the Oregonian.
The Trail Blazers have taken the first step toward signing forward Nicolas Batum to a long-term contract extension, sending his representatives a formal letter of intention to discuss an extension….
The Blazers have until Jan. 25 to sign Batum to an extension or they will have to wait until June 30, when Batum would become a restricted free agent.
Both sides want to get this done — Batum loves Portland — so expect it to happen. Probably a three-year deal.
Batum is a fantastic wing defender who brings three-point range on his shot (and 12.4 points per game) last season. The French native has seen his game grow and is the kind of role player you see on good teams (which is why teams keep asking for him in trades).
- Bobcats fight to the end, but Heat come away with 2-0 series lead 2
- PBT Extra: How ’bout them Wizards? 11
- Phil Jackson wants Carmelo Anthony to take less money to re-sign with Knicks 53
- Report: Frank Vogel “coaching for his job” in wake of team’s slide 20
- Phoenix’s Goran Dragic runs away with Most Improved Player 15