Dec 21, 2011, 11:55 AM EST
Nicolas Batum is one of those players you leave the game talking about. You head into the Rose Garden in Portland thinking about LaMarcus Aldridge or Jamal Crawford, but when you leave the guy who jumps out at you is Batum.
Which is why the Blazers are about to talk contract extension with the fourth-year player, according to the Oregonian.
The Trail Blazers have taken the first step toward signing forward Nicolas Batum to a long-term contract extension, sending his representatives a formal letter of intention to discuss an extension….
The Blazers have until Jan. 25 to sign Batum to an extension or they will have to wait until June 30, when Batum would become a restricted free agent.
Both sides want to get this done — Batum loves Portland — so expect it to happen. Probably a three-year deal.
Batum is a fantastic wing defender who brings three-point range on his shot (and 12.4 points per game) last season. The French native has seen his game grow and is the kind of role player you see on good teams (which is why teams keep asking for him in trades).
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 0
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7