Dec 21, 2011, 11:55 AM EST
Nicolas Batum is one of those players you leave the game talking about. You head into the Rose Garden in Portland thinking about LaMarcus Aldridge or Jamal Crawford, but when you leave the guy who jumps out at you is Batum.
Which is why the Blazers are about to talk contract extension with the fourth-year player, according to the Oregonian.
The Trail Blazers have taken the first step toward signing forward Nicolas Batum to a long-term contract extension, sending his representatives a formal letter of intention to discuss an extension….
The Blazers have until Jan. 25 to sign Batum to an extension or they will have to wait until June 30, when Batum would become a restricted free agent.
Both sides want to get this done — Batum loves Portland — so expect it to happen. Probably a three-year deal.
Batum is a fantastic wing defender who brings three-point range on his shot (and 12.4 points per game) last season. The French native has seen his game grow and is the kind of role player you see on good teams (which is why teams keep asking for him in trades).
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 13
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17