Billups can picture himself staying with Clippers

Dec 21, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Chauncey Billups didn’t want to end up with the Clippers.

He didn’t want to get shipped out of his hometown Denver to New York at the whim of Carmelo Anthony. He didn’t want to get waived by said Knicks to clear the way for their signing of Tyson Chandler. Then he told teams not to bid on him while on waivers, but the Clippers did anyway.

But once he stepped back and looked at the situation, Billups realized things in Los Angeles are not so bad. He could picture himself staying with the Clippers past this season, he told Scott Howard-Cooper at NBA.com.

“I’m not going to worry about that until the summer,” he said after practice at the team’s training facility. “But I want to be in a situation where guys are ready to win. Not just win the regular season, but win in the playoffs. We’ll see how this thing shapes up, but if we continue with the mentality that we have and players keep getting better, this maybe the opportunity that’s best for me.”

But how is that going to work, you ask? Chris Paul is the Clippers point guard and Billups has played the point his entire career. How well Billups adjusts to playing off the ball will be one of the keys to the Clippers season.

Billups doesn’t see the issue.

“Chris and I have been two players that have pretty much dominated and had a lot of success in our careers at that position,” Billups said. “For us now to be here together is a little strange, but at the same is a delight for me to be able to have somebody on the floor that’s the same cerebral player that I am. I’m used to seeing things that most people on my team didn’t see. We’re seeing things together and looking at each other, saying, ‘Yeah.’ ”

Eventually the Clippers are going to have to address the two guard spot for the long term, but if they can keep Billups around a couple seasons and he adapts, that is a guy who can help a young team through the how-to-win-in-the-NBA learning curve.

1. acdc363 - Dec 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Chauncey – “I love it here in denver!”
    ..traded to new york
    Chauncey – “I love it here in new york!”
    …traded to LA
    Chauncey – “I love it here in blaketown!”

2. frankenderek - Dec 21, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Dominated? You have never been a top 5 PG, sir. Humble your self Mr. Haven’t Hit a Big Shot since 2006.

• raidmagic - Dec 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Well somebody doesn’t watch alot of basketball.

3. rwmilli - Dec 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Chauncey was definitely one of the top guards in the league ^^^ your an idiot.

4. frankenderek - Dec 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I’ll admit I don’t watch much basketball as I do baseball, but never once have I thought to myself “wow Billups is playing, I want to see that game.” He’s pretty good, but not as elite as he thinks he is.

• theghostofwillisreed - Dec 21, 2011 at 7:37 PM

then don’t make uninformed opinions.

• moseskkim - Dec 22, 2011 at 5:27 AM

He never said he was a star. he said he dominated his position. for many years in detroit he dominated his position. not the best.. nash was arguably better.. you can dominate your position and not be a star. its just that detroit wasnt sexy. clippers right now are pretty sexy. LOB CITY

5. thestudiokida - Dec 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I’m surprised they don’t start Mo Williams. I love Billups but I’d just try to make sure I keep either Paul or Billups on the floor at all times. Most team don’t have a good PG to bring off the bench. Then again the Clippers have Bledsoe too. I get confused thinking about this roster. Hope they trade a guard for another decent swingman.

Also I hope Billups doesn’t turn into Marcus Camby, loving each new team he gets traded to.

• passerby23 - Dec 22, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Yeah, because having a positive attitude and liking the team you’re on is pretty awful! Really? You’re complaining about him making the most of the situations he’s put in?

I do agree they need to move one of their guards.

• moseskkim - Dec 22, 2011 at 5:24 AM

Billups must start next to Paul unless clipps get a great new SG or a great new SF and slide butler to the 2. Mo Williams doesn’t work there because he’s too small and even at that size not a good defender. opposing 2’s will eat him up. Kobe will drop 50 on him playing without 3 fingers. billups works because he’s defensive-minded and he’s got some hmmph (power). it’s not ideal but it really isnt bad because of the matchup problems it could create on the offensive end. 2 pg’s throwing alley-oops to Griffin and DJ. its gonna be a fun season.

6. a185 - Dec 22, 2011 at 4:30 AM

The fact that this dude said Billups hasn’t hit a big shot since 06 gave away that he doesn’t watch basketball on the regular… last year Knicks against Heat, Knicks are down and guess who hits a big shot in the 4th. Billups isn’t on CP3’s level talent wise and of course he’s not flashy so why would you tune in to watch him. Billups shines as a leader on the floor on both sides of the ball, clutch player, smart decisions. CP3 is in the top 3 at his best Billups could’ve been top 5… you had J Kidd on the Nets Nash on the Mavs, Bibby on the Kings and Baron Davis on the Hornets and Billup on the Pistons. Who else was a top PG maybe I forgot Sam Cassell and Marbury. Derek Fisher isn’t in that league nor is Eric Snow and Peyton was on his way out in the mid 2000s. Jason Williams was exciting and Van Exel too at jacking 3s and Tony Parker was still young.

7. jimsjam33 - Dec 22, 2011 at 11:31 AM

The Clippers are loaded at the guard position , Paul , Billups , Williams , Bledsole and Foye . I can see one or more more going in a trade for a big man at back-up center , Probably Mo Williams and/or Foye . Bledsole has star potential plus the kid from Florida with the hair down to his waist , a rookie , could stick if a trade is made. Mo Williams could really help a team like the Lakers or any team in need of a better than average point guard . A 6-10 to 7 foot back up center that bangs on the level of Gortat would be solid for the Clips . Is Keith Closs still out there ?

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches