Dec 20, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Samuel Dalembert is the best free agent big out there on the market right now.
Problem for him is the market is shrinking and he may not get paid like he hoped.
Sources: Rockets, at the moment, taking a pass ($) on Dalembert, leaving return to Kings as s possibility.
That the Rockets are out says a lot about what Dalembert is asking — right now they have Jordan Hill as the best center on their roster. Houston is desperate for a big, yet they walked away.
Remember that Dalembert was on the Heat’s radar but thought that the mid-level exception ($5 million per year) was not going to be enough. He’s a good defensive center who wants to get paid.
Right now the Kings can offer the most money (Bird rights) but what is their motivation? This is a small market team that doesn’t want to be bidding against themselves. After that there are some teams with the mid-level (not the Heat, Shane Battier got it) but that’s about it.
Don’t be shocked if Dalembert ends up with a shorter-term deal (two year with an opt-out after one?) so he can try this again next year.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29