Dec 20, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Samuel Dalembert is the best free agent big out there on the market right now.
Problem for him is the market is shrinking and he may not get paid like he hoped.
Sources: Rockets, at the moment, taking a pass ($) on Dalembert, leaving return to Kings as s possibility.
That the Rockets are out says a lot about what Dalembert is asking — right now they have Jordan Hill as the best center on their roster. Houston is desperate for a big, yet they walked away.
Remember that Dalembert was on the Heat’s radar but thought that the mid-level exception ($5 million per year) was not going to be enough. He’s a good defensive center who wants to get paid.
Right now the Kings can offer the most money (Bird rights) but what is their motivation? This is a small market team that doesn’t want to be bidding against themselves. After that there are some teams with the mid-level (not the Heat, Shane Battier got it) but that’s about it.
Don’t be shocked if Dalembert ends up with a shorter-term deal (two year with an opt-out after one?) so he can try this again next year.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 38
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 4
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5