Dec 20, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Samuel Dalembert is the best free agent big out there on the market right now.
Problem for him is the market is shrinking and he may not get paid like he hoped.
Sources: Rockets, at the moment, taking a pass ($) on Dalembert, leaving return to Kings as s possibility.
That the Rockets are out says a lot about what Dalembert is asking — right now they have Jordan Hill as the best center on their roster. Houston is desperate for a big, yet they walked away.
Remember that Dalembert was on the Heat’s radar but thought that the mid-level exception ($5 million per year) was not going to be enough. He’s a good defensive center who wants to get paid.
Right now the Kings can offer the most money (Bird rights) but what is their motivation? This is a small market team that doesn’t want to be bidding against themselves. After that there are some teams with the mid-level (not the Heat, Shane Battier got it) but that’s about it.
Don’t be shocked if Dalembert ends up with a shorter-term deal (two year with an opt-out after one?) so he can try this again next year.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 0
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 40
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44