Dec 20, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Samuel Dalembert is the best free agent big out there on the market right now.
Problem for him is the market is shrinking and he may not get paid like he hoped.
Sources: Rockets, at the moment, taking a pass ($) on Dalembert, leaving return to Kings as s possibility.
That the Rockets are out says a lot about what Dalembert is asking — right now they have Jordan Hill as the best center on their roster. Houston is desperate for a big, yet they walked away.
Remember that Dalembert was on the Heat’s radar but thought that the mid-level exception ($5 million per year) was not going to be enough. He’s a good defensive center who wants to get paid.
Right now the Kings can offer the most money (Bird rights) but what is their motivation? This is a small market team that doesn’t want to be bidding against themselves. After that there are some teams with the mid-level (not the Heat, Shane Battier got it) but that’s about it.
Don’t be shocked if Dalembert ends up with a shorter-term deal (two year with an opt-out after one?) so he can try this again next year.
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 10
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24