Dec 20, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Samuel Dalembert is the best free agent big out there on the market right now.
Problem for him is the market is shrinking and he may not get paid like he hoped.
Sources: Rockets, at the moment, taking a pass ($) on Dalembert, leaving return to Kings as s possibility.
That the Rockets are out says a lot about what Dalembert is asking — right now they have Jordan Hill as the best center on their roster. Houston is desperate for a big, yet they walked away.
Remember that Dalembert was on the Heat’s radar but thought that the mid-level exception ($5 million per year) was not going to be enough. He’s a good defensive center who wants to get paid.
Right now the Kings can offer the most money (Bird rights) but what is their motivation? This is a small market team that doesn’t want to be bidding against themselves. After that there are some teams with the mid-level (not the Heat, Shane Battier got it) but that’s about it.
Don’t be shocked if Dalembert ends up with a shorter-term deal (two year with an opt-out after one?) so he can try this again next year.
- Deal set: Lakers trade for Jeremy Lin, which for L.A. is largely about draft pick (as is Gasol for Boozer idea) 0
- Carmelo Anthony still not ready to decide, but he needs to soon as options dry up 27
- Report: With LeBron James heading to Cleveland, Kevin Love would commit to Cavaliers long term if traded there 43
- Report: Lakers finalizing trade for Rockets’ Jeremy Lin 59
- LeBron to Cleveland first domino, what’s next? Bosh to Rockets, and much more 56
- LeBron James in his own words on why he chose Cleveland 94
- LeBron James going home, to sign with Cleveland Cavaliers 253
- While waiting on Plan A to make up his mind, Lakers mulling Plan B options 26