Paul Pierce to miss preseason game… maybe opening day?

Dec 20, 2011, 4:13 PM EDT

Paul Pierce AP

Paul Pierce has a right heel injury, one that will keep him out of Wednesday’s preseason game against the Raptors. But a veteran missing a preseason game is not going to turn any heads.

But him missing the season opener against the Knicks would.

It is possible, the Celtics are admitting. Here are the cryptic words from Doc Rivers after the Celtics practice Tuesday, via A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.

“I’m concerned; I’m not concerned long-term; but I am concerned short term.”

With Jeff Green out for the season, the Celtics are short on quality wing players — my apologies to the mothers of Marquis Daniels and Sasha Pavlovic — and the loss of PP for even a few games hurts. Especially against a division rival like New York.

We don’t know what is up, just a situation to monitor.

1. acdc363 - Dec 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Damn kurt you’re killin us Celtics fans lately haha

2. bozosforall - Dec 20, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Yet another Celtic wuss player. Fits right in with their fan base.

3. bradyisbetterthanrodgers - Dec 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM

bozosforall

do u need a reminder of who has the most championships in NBA history? until your team matches the celtics just shut up

• slipperyjohnson - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:11 AM

The celtics were the joke of the NBA for 20 years til’ the 3 stooges teamed up to win ONE title….stop living in the 60′s

• bozosforall - Dec 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Need I remind you that all but one of those titles are ANCIENT?

Or do I need to remind you that, compared to the Yankees, the total amount of titles that the Celtics have is puny by comparison?

Or do I need to remind you that you suck?

Oh, and my team is creeping up on yours and will be past them soon enough.

4. 973yenots - Dec 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Farther Time! The rest will follow! Not looking good Celtic fans!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches