Dec 20, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
We knew it looked bad when it happened Saturday, and now the worst has been confirmed.
Arthur is a versatile backup big — he can play the four or the five, is comfortable in the lane or on the pick-and-pop. He’ll be tough to replace, but now the Grizzlies are in desperate need of a backup big man (they needed one before this injury). Problem is the pickings are slim.
Memphis is about to give an offer sheet to Bobcats restricted free agent Dante Cunningham and have had conversations with the 76ers about Marresse Speights, the paper reports.
Speights makes some sense for the Grizzlies on the court because he does bring size and some versatility, although he is no Arthur. The issue is the price would not be cheap — Xavier Henry and Greivis Vasquez, suggests the Commercial Appeal.
At this point, Memphis may not have a choice.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 19
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 17
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80