Dec 20, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
We knew it looked bad when it happened Saturday, and now the worst has been confirmed.
Arthur is a versatile backup big — he can play the four or the five, is comfortable in the lane or on the pick-and-pop. He’ll be tough to replace, but now the Grizzlies are in desperate need of a backup big man (they needed one before this injury). Problem is the pickings are slim.
Memphis is about to give an offer sheet to Bobcats restricted free agent Dante Cunningham and have had conversations with the 76ers about Marresse Speights, the paper reports.
Speights makes some sense for the Grizzlies on the court because he does bring size and some versatility, although he is no Arthur. The issue is the price would not be cheap — Xavier Henry and Greivis Vasquez, suggests the Commercial Appeal.
At this point, Memphis may not have a choice.
- Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road 0
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 27
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 28