Dec 20, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
This was as expected as Santa’s rounds in a few days.
Derrick Rose has agreed to a five-year, $94 million max extension with the Bulls, reports Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com. That actually is a super-max deal under the “Derrick Rose” rule in the new CBA that allows players getting their first extension of their rookie deal to get 30 percent of the salary cap (up from 25 percent) if they have been named league MVP (or have made two All-Star teams). What that means is Rose will make a little more than $10 million additional in those five years.
The big raise kicks in next season, when Rose will make about $16 million.
In case you were trapped in a mine last year and missed it, Rose was named league MVP averaging 25 points and 7.7 assists, essentially carrying the Chicago Bulls offense all the way to the Eastern Conference finals. He is the Bulls cornerstone, the future, the reason they are contenders. This is a max guy without question.
The signing is good news for Bulls fans, who will have Rose around until the middle of the decade at the very least now.
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 0
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 4
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 9
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 13
- Why there’s a 100 percent chance the NBA lottery is fixed 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable