Dec 20, 2011, 10:13 AM EDT
Deron Williams is going to be grumpy.
D-Will is a very competitive player and he’s about to be on a team that is going to lose a lot of games. He’s not used to that (college Final Four, Olympic gold, won more than he lost in Utah). The Nets have been trying desperately to land a big star to pair with Williams, but so far it is back to him and Brook Lopez. Right now the Nets are not a playoff team.
The losing that is coming is not going to set well with Williams, he admitted to the New York Daily News.
“You don’t think I’ve thought about that?” Williams cut off the question.
So how would he handle losing?
“I don’t know. You guys are not going to like me, I know that. I get grumpy when I lose.”
The Nets problem is that if they don’t land Howard soon they have to decide what to do with Williams, who can opt out of his deal and become a free agent at the end of the season. The Nets are counting on Williams to lead them into Brooklyn, but if they get the feeling he’ll walk next summer they have to trade him before the deadline. They gave up a lot to get Williams — Derrick Favors is at the top of that list — and they can’t get nothing for Williams.
That day of reckoning has not yet come for the Nets, but you can see it on the horizon.
Just like the losing that is coming. And the Nets are powerless to stop it (unless the Magic change their mind).
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 38
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?