Dec 20, 2011, 10:13 AM EDT
Deron Williams is going to be grumpy.
D-Will is a very competitive player and he’s about to be on a team that is going to lose a lot of games. He’s not used to that (college Final Four, Olympic gold, won more than he lost in Utah). The Nets have been trying desperately to land a big star to pair with Williams, but so far it is back to him and Brook Lopez. Right now the Nets are not a playoff team.
The losing that is coming is not going to set well with Williams, he admitted to the New York Daily News.
“You don’t think I’ve thought about that?” Williams cut off the question.
So how would he handle losing?
“I don’t know. You guys are not going to like me, I know that. I get grumpy when I lose.”
The Nets problem is that if they don’t land Howard soon they have to decide what to do with Williams, who can opt out of his deal and become a free agent at the end of the season. The Nets are counting on Williams to lead them into Brooklyn, but if they get the feeling he’ll walk next summer they have to trade him before the deadline. They gave up a lot to get Williams — Derrick Favors is at the top of that list — and they can’t get nothing for Williams.
That day of reckoning has not yet come for the Nets, but you can see it on the horizon.
Just like the losing that is coming. And the Nets are powerless to stop it (unless the Magic change their mind).
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 3
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19