Dec 20, 2011, 2:10 PM EST
Last season, Brook Lopez grabbed 10 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor. Six rebounds per game.
Think about that for a second — in a perfectly even world all 10 players on the floor would grab 10 percent of the boards. But if you are a seven-footer who plays around the basket the whole night, you should grab a whole lot more than the average guy. Kris Humphries grabbed 22 percent, which is where you want an elite rebounder to be. Heck, Troy Murphy grabbed 15.4 percent.
So what was up with Lopez?
“It was a number of things — I was being lazy, first and foremost,” Lopez said. “Hump was doing such a good job a lot of the time, that I’d see him doing his thing and kind of leak out offensively. I didn’t really crash the offensive boards. There’s really no excuse for that because I didn’t leak out defensively at all.
“It’s just been a constant focus daily. And it does help keeping those rebound attempts.”
Lopez grabbed 11 boards in the Nets first preseason game against the Knicks (with the yet unsigned Humphries not present). Better. But again, preseason is meaningless. The Nets are expecting a lot more of that when the games matter. They want him to play with the fire of his brother Robin, not the cool detachment that seems to come with Brook.
We’ll see. We could tie this back into how it’s important if the Nets have any hope of keeping Deron Williams, but really every Nets post could be tied back like that. We’ll let you do it on your own.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 20
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8