Dec 20, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
Last season, Brook Lopez grabbed 10 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor. Six rebounds per game.
Think about that for a second — in a perfectly even world all 10 players on the floor would grab 10 percent of the boards. But if you are a seven-footer who plays around the basket the whole night, you should grab a whole lot more than the average guy. Kris Humphries grabbed 22 percent, which is where you want an elite rebounder to be. Heck, Troy Murphy grabbed 15.4 percent.
So what was up with Lopez?
“It was a number of things — I was being lazy, first and foremost,” Lopez said. “Hump was doing such a good job a lot of the time, that I’d see him doing his thing and kind of leak out offensively. I didn’t really crash the offensive boards. There’s really no excuse for that because I didn’t leak out defensively at all.
“It’s just been a constant focus daily. And it does help keeping those rebound attempts.”
Lopez grabbed 11 boards in the Nets first preseason game against the Knicks (with the yet unsigned Humphries not present). Better. But again, preseason is meaningless. The Nets are expecting a lot more of that when the games matter. They want him to play with the fire of his brother Robin, not the cool detachment that seems to come with Brook.
We’ll see. We could tie this back into how it’s important if the Nets have any hope of keeping Deron Williams, but really every Nets post could be tied back like that. We’ll let you do it on your own.
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 5
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 12
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 23
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 7
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy