Dec 20, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
Glen Davis has his ring. He’s had his moments in the sun. He’s done the Shrek and Donkey thing on a national stage.
Now, he wants to play a bigger role.
That wasn’t happening in Boston where Kevin Garnett will start at the four until he can no longer clap in the face of smaller guards. Which is why Big Baby told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida he is happy to be in Orlando now.
“My whole career, I was playing behind KG, and I don’t think people really were able to see what I can do,” Davis said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida. “The times that I didn’t have to play behind KG, I did a great job. Now, I’m (with the Magic), and I have an opportunity to be a starter, and I’m just embracing the moment.”
For most players, the progression is they are focused on getting their minutes and their points — and their money — at the start of their careers then after a while they start to think about legacy and rings. But for players like Davis, dropped as a young player into a winning situation, the pattern can reverse.
Davis came to Orlando in a swap for Brandon Bass. If Davis can control is weight and stay in shape, he’s going to get chances — post defenders against Orlando tend to focus on Dwight Howard. (At least for now.)
Davis is getting the chance he wanted. Just be careful what you wish for sometimes.
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 1
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 18
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 43
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault