Dec 19, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
The Clippers had their first scrimmage — and Chris Paul’s second ever practice with the team — on Sunday and Clipper fans were ecstatic. As they should be. By all reports Paul looked pretty good but like a guy trying to find his way on a new team.
After the game, Clippers coach Vinny del Negro suggested his new star has not come to camp as ready as can be, via ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“He’s gonna lose a few pounds, he’s gonna feel a little bit better,” Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro said of Paul. “Right now, when you come in, the play-sets are a little bit different, the terminology’s a little bit different. It’s easier, because he’s been around and he knows a lot of this stuff. In this game, if you’re a step slow, you’re in trouble. Every day, he’ll get a little bit more comfortable.”
Way to make points with the team’s new star, coach.
Expect the Clippers to start a bit slow this season — integrating Chris Paul into a growing team will mean some kinks — but by the playoffs the Clippers will be the team in the West nobody wants.
As for Del Negro, his seat is now hot.
The Clippers are a team on the rise and there are questions if he can coach a team up like that. His over reliance on the pick-and-roll may serve him well now, but the fact is there are expectations for the Clippers now and if they don’t live up to them he will take the fall. Then he can join the long list of coaches that have had to sue Donald Sterling to get the rest of his guaranteed contract.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48