Dec 19, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
Our morning look around the NBA with stories worth reading and notes that are not their own post here at PBT.
As Tom Ziller pointed out: Thanks to the NBA amnesty clause, Baron Davis’ salary went from $13.9 million to $16.4 million this season. Yes, one of the most dramatically overpaid players in the league gets to double dip.
If you’re looking for a fantasy player your friends are going to overlook, try Greg Monroe. The Pistons center had 12 points, 13 boards, two steals and two blocks on Friday.
Cleveland’s Manny Harris is expected to miss another couple of weeks due to “freezer burn” he suffered on his foot in a Nike-sponsored “cooling chamber.” (Super cold rooms are a hot trend in helping players bodies regenerate.)
Blazers coach Nate McMillan said Jamal Crawford will be coming off the bench in Portland, as he did in Atlanta.
Rhino sighting — the Trail Blazers have picked up veteran Craig Smith. Nice pickup to provide depth up front.
In case you missed it, David Stern and Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson had a successful meeting recently. The Maloofs seem to be coming around on the issue. Long way to go, but Sacramento may save its team.
The Bulls waived Jannero Pargo.
Sean Marks will retire from the NBA after an 11-year career.
The Warriors signed Ish Smith to a one-year deal.
J.R. Smith going with the Karl Malone imitation dunk during a game in China.
The Raptors are going with the optical illusion logo on the court for television. (It’s an NBA first, but European soccer teams have done this.)
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 0
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 8
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3