Kobe Bryant says his knee is “90 percent better”

Dec 19, 2011, 10:14 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant arrives for a news conference announcing the players rejection of the league's latest offer in New York Reuters

Kobe Bryant is practicing with the Lakers again.

That is big. Last season he didn’t, something he and Phil Jackson decided on together — they were going to save his sore knee for game time and so he only practiced a handful of times all season. It showed. Not in Kobe’s game so much as team chemistry — Kobe was not there to push this team in practice and you saw that manifest itself come the playoffs.

Kobe is out there now, learning Mike Brown’s system and pushing the Lakers.

He credits the experimental version of platelet-rich plasma therapy he had done in Germany this summer with helping, Kobe told Marc Spears of Yahoo.

“I’m not a big medicine, techie guy. But I know my knee feels 90 percent better. My understanding was that the guy who invented it … [Germany] is where he’s from and where his home base is. So I didn’t want to go someplace else where he had to move his equipment. If I am going to do it, I want to do it right and do it in the place where he is most comfortable doing it.”

Q: What can you do physically with that knee that you couldn’t do at the end of last season?

Bryant: “Anything I want. I can run. I can jump. I can run the track. I can lift weights the way I want to lift weights. I can practice every day. Those are things I couldn’t do last year.”

If Kobe’s knee holds up all season, Dirk Nowitzki will not be the only NBA player making an annual summer trip to Germany. Kobe may have just been out in front of the parade of players.

Also in the same interview, Kobe denies that he wants to be traded from the Lakers. That rumor was always pure speculation (unless you see a total Lakers collapse) so it was kind of moot. But he denied it.

1. worldbfree4me - Dec 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I guess Vanessa didnt get the memo!

• chargerdillon - Dec 19, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Who do you think took the 10% out of his knee, duh Vanessa

She’s also taking 50% from his wallet too

Aint no defense to that dunk

2. mr92687 - Dec 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM

lakers will need this to be true all season long, i hope he is

• 973yenots - Dec 20, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Laker fans keep your head up! Lol!!!

3. 973yenots - Dec 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Physically ain’t the question! What about mentally? With all thats going on from his personally life to a different team from the past few years.

4. florida727 - Dec 19, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Wasn’t this platelet-enriched plasma treatment the same thing Tiger Woods had done? Anyone know what’s different about this one? I know there’s legal issues/trouble with the guy that Tiger used, but is there anything different between the procedures?

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches