Dec 19, 2011, 1:45 PM EST
This is not going to work.
That said, the Knicks are desperate for point guard help and they got a guy who can — when focused and involved — be the best guard on their roster. The only issues are he is out with a chronic bad back and that needed focus never lasts.
Because he was given amnesty by the Cavaliers and cleared waivers, he gets to double-dip on salary — he gets his old Cavaliers $13.9 million plus the $1.4 million the Knicks pay him with the veterans’ minimum. That is $15.3 million, for those scoring at home.
Davis is out right now with a bulging disc in his back and it may be a few weeks before he joins the team.
For Knicks fans who think this is a big help remember this — the Clippers and Cavaliers just did whatever they could to get him off their rosters. Two teams that could have used his talent just wanted him out the door. The Clippers gave up a first round pick (that ended up being No. 1 overall). The Cavs just ate his salary.
Toney Douglas is still the best PG on the Knicks roster.
When he is sharp, Davis is still a force. He can be fantastic in transition and has an amazing court sense, which should fit with Mike D’Antoni’s system. But he has a long history of injuries and questionable conditioning (they go hand-in-hand). His focus comes and goes game-to-game and even quarter-to-quarter. He loves to take ill-advised shots long early in the clock (and the first time he starts taking shots out of Carmelo Anthony’s hands there will be words). His defense is going to make the Knicks worse.
That said, the Knicks are desperate for point guard help and Davis is a good gamble at a minimum salary. Just don’t expect too much from him.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18