Dec 19, 2011, 3:51 PM EDT
In a surprise move the Sacramento Kings have voided the free agent contract of Chuck Hayes, the team announced, as reported by CSNBayArea.com. He had abnormalities appear on a stress test last week and further tests were ordered, according to the Sacramento Bee at the time.
Here is the statement from Kings GM Geoff Petrie.
“This morning, in one of the most heartbreaking moments of my professional or personal life, Chuck Hayes was notified that he failed his physical exam with the Sacramento Kings. Subsequent to that, the contract signed on December 9th has been voided. At Chuck’s request, we will have no further comment at this time.”
Hayes had just signed a four-year, $21 million deal with the Kings (it can be voided because he never passed his physical). He would have provided defense and consistency to a front line that needs both.
We don’t know if this is the same enlarged aorta situation Green is dealing with in Boston. That is something where he will have surgery but can return to the NBA (Ronny Turiaf and others have rebounded from the same surgery).
Hopefully it is nothing more serious. Hayes was an easy guy to root for because he got the most out of his talent and brought real effort every night. Hope to see him back in the league as soon as his body allows it.
This also means the Kings are in the mix for another member of their front line. There may be a little Samuel Dalembert bidding war about to begin (Houston is in that mix, too).
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 8
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 32
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 27
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3