Dec 19, 2011, 3:51 PM EST
In a surprise move the Sacramento Kings have voided the free agent contract of Chuck Hayes, the team announced, as reported by CSNBayArea.com. He had abnormalities appear on a stress test last week and further tests were ordered, according to the Sacramento Bee at the time.
Here is the statement from Kings GM Geoff Petrie.
“This morning, in one of the most heartbreaking moments of my professional or personal life, Chuck Hayes was notified that he failed his physical exam with the Sacramento Kings. Subsequent to that, the contract signed on December 9th has been voided. At Chuck’s request, we will have no further comment at this time.”
Hayes had just signed a four-year, $21 million deal with the Kings (it can be voided because he never passed his physical). He would have provided defense and consistency to a front line that needs both.
We don’t know if this is the same enlarged aorta situation Green is dealing with in Boston. That is something where he will have surgery but can return to the NBA (Ronny Turiaf and others have rebounded from the same surgery).
Hopefully it is nothing more serious. Hayes was an easy guy to root for because he got the most out of his talent and brought real effort every night. Hope to see him back in the league as soon as his body allows it.
This also means the Kings are in the mix for another member of their front line. There may be a little Samuel Dalembert bidding war about to begin (Houston is in that mix, too).
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 5
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0