Dec 19, 2011, 10:53 AM EDT
Bismack Biyombo wanted badly to play for the Charlotte Bobcats this season — so much so that he will reach into his own pocket and pay much of his salary this season to a Spanish club.
Biyombo was under contract to Fuenlabrada for the next two seasons and had a $1.5 million buyout. A number Fuenlabrada would not back off of (why should they?). The Bobcats can only pay $500,000. Biyombo tried negotiations and a civil lawsuit to get a lower buyout, but he lost on every count.
So he has agreed to the buyout and the rookie is on his way to Charlotte, reports Sportando.
That is $1 million out of Biyombo’s pocket straight back to Spain this season. That’s serious dedication — how many players would give up $1 million to get to the NBA?
The 19-year-old Congo native was selected No. 7 overall by the Bobcats in the last draft. He is athletic, a defending and rebounding big man who is going to get a lot of minutes — when Kwame Brown went to Golden State the Bobcats were going to play 6’8” Boris Diaw at center for big minutes. Biyombo is getting a baptism by fire. The faster he can come along this season the better the Bobcats will be (which still will not be very good).
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'