Dec 18, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
After years of waiting, Ricky Rubio took the floor for the Minnesota Timberwolves Saturday night against the Milwaukee Bucks. The score isn’t important, it’s a preseason game. What is important is that Rubio finished with 6 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and just 1 turnover in 24 minutes. Not bad for the youngster’s first time out.
In a lot of ways, Rubio’s debut was what we expected. Brilliant vision. Stellar playmaking. Terrible shooting. Good perimeter defense. Bowled over physically in the post. And, oh, yeah, this.
Rubio may be the next coming of Maravich without the jumper. He may be the Rookie of the Year. He could have had a good night against a bad team in preseason. He could struggle when defenses get the book on him. But it’s going to be pretty exciting watching to see how this story unfolds. Another reason to celebrate the NBA being back.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 6
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 2
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 18
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 48
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12