Dec 18, 2011, 2:34 PM EDT
Baron Davis will, eventually, be back under the bright lights of a big city basketball team. After being amnestied by the Cavaliers following a diagnosis of a bulging disc that will keep him out indefinitely, ESPN reports the former Warrior and Clipper (and Hornet) has decided to take the veteran minimum to join the New York Knicks.
Baron Davis has committed to sign with the New York Knicks, according to sources close to the situation.
The deal could be formally completed as soon as Sunday, sources said.
Davis cleared waivers Friday after he was released through the amnesty clause in the new labor agreement by the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Davis was diagnosed with a bulging disc before being waived, and estimates have been between 4 and 10 weeks for his return. If he comes back any sooner than that, you have to wonder if Dan Gilbert will file a complaint (since it’s Dan Gilbert and all).
Davis is in the same position he’s always in. He could be great, he could be awful, he’ll probably be somewhere in between but closer to bad. However, in D’Antoni’s Seven Seconds or Less system, he could really excel. The Knicks need a playmaker, as Toney Douglas is not it. Iman Shumper looks very much like a shooting guard. Davis unleashed in a full-court scenario with Melo and Stoudemire could be impressive, even with Davis’ diminished abilities.
Defensively, there will be even more questions, but it’s certainly an upgrade over Douglas and Mike Bibby. For the veteran minimum, a starting point guard isn’t a bad land for the Knicks.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 26
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 50
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28